• SD40-3's?

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by trainspot

Saw a new line on the Bullsheet, does anyone know any details of these?
  by CR-SD50

I heard about this some time ago, so memory may be incorrect, but I believe the "SD40-3's" are actually SD50's, powered down to 3000 HP, thus being equivalent to an SD40 series. The purpose being so they will last longer/increase reliability. CSX was the largest customer for the SD50's, and Conrail had the second largest fleet, many of which went to CSX.
  by scottychaos

Nope, not the derated SD50's..those are called SD50-2's on CSX..
There are a lot of references on-line of CSX SD50's being rebuilt (derated), and then called SD50-2's..
thats quite well known..
and I just found a reference here: http://cs.trains.com/trccs/forums/t/166561.aspx
that says:
SD50-2s was just a derate of the prime mover. SD50-3s are a full rebuild.
so we have the CSX SD50-2, which is a derated SD50..
and now it seems some "full rebuilds" of SD50's are coming from CSX,
these are the SD50-3's.

But that doesnt explain the SD40-3, which is the topic of this thread..
I would guess there must be a plan in the works to rebuild some SD40-2's..
which makes sense, since there are so many of them..

Scot
  by RichM

I might be wrong, but weren't the SD40-2's that First Union bought, had rebuilt and leased called SD 40-3's?
  by roadster

I remember reading a few months ago about CSX having some of it's SD40's completely rebuilt using new generation cat. motors and new electronic/computer systems. I'll try to dig out the article. I think they were supposed to be 3100 hp.
  by lvrr325

NS has some SD50s rebuilt with Cat diesels, they have SD80-style flared radiators. There's a pic in a recent Railpace. I don't remember reading about a CSX equivalent anywhere, but I could have missed it.
  by roadster

A "RailRoads Illustrated" report told of the SD50-3 rebuild program, but they were retaining the EMD engine and upgrading with up to date computer and electronics. I do remember reading about the SD40-3 program, but I have yet to find the article. It may have even been in a company "propaganda" paper.
  by Bryanjones

CSX has not completed any of the SD40-3 rebuilds yet. Initially there will be 10 of these units. The work scope should be similar to the SD50-3 rebuilds, including the addition of a Q-Tron QES microprocessor.

Prior to the first of 2010 a total of 14 SD50-3 rebuilds were completed. These units were given a complete rebuild, including the addition of a brand new control stand and cab air conditioning. The Super Series wheel slip control was replaced with a new Q-Tron QES microprocessor.

Bryan Jones
Brooks,KY
  by trainspot

Thanks Bryan. So the rebuilds will be done on SD40-2s, correct?
I'm wondering since some have been retired in the past, while others are repainted.
  by SurlyKnuckle

According to the system RFE notice on the 50-3's, how successfull they turn out will determine if they'll start rebuilding all -2's into -3's. They didn't specify if this included GP38s and 40s, but I did see a GP40 with a/c at work the other day. I can't wait for them to start showing up here with window tint.