• CSX to discuss talks with D&H (CP RAIL)

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by ladder2

I received an e mail from CSX PR dept that CSX is going to enter into talks about sharing traffic between Binghamton and Rouses Point in which CP will haul CSX traffic destined for Montreal via the D&H and this will cut transit times dramatically, and
CSX will haul CP traffic destined for NYC via CSX. There is more to it but it sounds like Montreal Secondary will disappear. Will have to see what happens.
  by ladder2

Go to CSXT.com, click on "Investors" column, drop down to" CSX in talks with CP"will give you more complete information, than
I want to clutter up this site.
  by Tommy Meehan

Thanks for the heads up.

They're going to need STB approval for CSX to make a haulage agreement with CP/D&H to handle the Oak Point/NY City traffic. I'm not sure they'll get it.

I would expect both the City of New York and NY State DOT to be opposed. Big time! (As a former Vice-President would say. :-) )
  by Tommy Meehan

The statement about the NY City traffic is a bit ambigous.

CSXT wrote:Under the proposed joint use agreement, CSXT and D&H would use jointly a north-south rail corridor linking the New York City metropolitan area with the international border at Rouses Point….

D&H would operate all trains between Saratoga Springs, N.Y., and Rouses Point. Both railroads would conduct their own train operations between Albany and Saratoga Springs.

The proposed joint use arrangement also calls for CSXT to handle certain D&H freight moving between Albany, N.Y., and the New York City boroughs of The Bronx and Queens, and enables D&H to offer significantly greater frequency of service between Montreal and metropolitan New York City. D&H also will retain previously STB approved trackage rights between Albany and Fresh Pond.
What do they mean by "handle certain D&H freight."? Guess we'll have to wait and see.

In the meantime, I pasted a link below to the statement on the CSXT website-

http://investors.csx.com/phoenix.zhtml? ... highlight=
  by jaymac

Assuming STB approves, it will also be interesting to see how any movement conflicts involving NS Patriot Corridor traffic play out. CPR/DH could get to host NS and CSX and potentially determine on those occasions when things go south -- or north or east or west -- whose service is on time or less delayed or more delayed.
Railroad politics in the Northeast used to be so boring.