• Redbirds Anyone?

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

by BMT

Would anyone know if RMLI considered acquiring one of the TA's Redbird subway cars? I know it's not LIRR, but the cars did ply through Queens which is on the Island.

I read today's Newsday piece on how the Town of North Babylon is going to house a transportation museum inside one of the Redbird cars. So, it got me curious...

by n2qhvRMLI

Hi Mr. D.

As a Trustee of RMLI, I can tell you that we haven't talked about any Transit equipment for Riverhead or Greenport.

The yard at Riverhead is pretty full right now with work progressing on the #200 bilevel and one of the 2900 coaches. A major housecleaning in the electric RPO is underway as of this past Saturday and of course #39 and #1556 are on top of the stove too.

Long term, we're looking for a suitable 40' boxcar for Greenport to use as a video theatre and from the looks of it, caboose #14's south side may get new wood sheathing in the fall of 2004, the old wood doesn't like the new paint!

All in all pretty busy out east here. TA equipment hasn't been on our mind!

BTW, my son and I still have fond thoughts of our walk through Brooklyn last summer. You did a great tour! THX.

Don Fisher
n2qhvRMLI

by BEDT16RMLI

I have a contact in the yards at Caronia and was trying to look into a car just a single one and they are not giving anyaway as far as I know but this is a year ago when I was looking into it not for the museum but for my own use.

by BMT

Don, thanks for your kind words. I had a great time with your group, and am looking forward to doing another one later in the year for the NY Transit Museum (if their schedule allows). With this being the 100th Anniversary of the subway system they might not have an available 'slot' for me this year....oh well, only time will tell.

Doug

by BMT

BEDT16RMLI: I know what you mean....Redbirds make GREAT tool sheds! :wink:

As a matter of fact, I heard one railway museum is looking to get a Redbird just to use it for equipment storage. But it will compliment their collection well since they have a number of rapid transit cars from other North American cities.

by BEDT16RMLI

we could not get one (museum) I tried to get a single car but was not possible. and I was going to use it as a house lol