• Bay Ridge Yard

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by jtunnel

Sits empty now. The last remianing stored cars there (C&D Gondolas) have been moved.
  by Teutobergerwald

Is it because there are plans to get the floats into use, or just no cars to store that far from Fresh Pond?
  by freightguy

I spoke to somebody from Cross Harbor recently. They said once again it comes to NY City and rent issues. I don't believe NYAr and NYNJ are allowed to used the yard. They are jus using the interchanges again.
  by DogBert

One of the interchange tracks by 4th ave was full of tlax cars fri night, and green WM cubes. Why were green cubes down there though? I thought all the bushwick MSW went out via CSX?
  by workextra

When if ever will they float out of 65th st yard?
  by Ðauntless

Thank the city as always.
  by spidey3

freightguy wrote:I spoke to somebody from Cross Harbor recently. They said once again it comes to NY City and rent issues. I don't believe NYAr and NYNJ are allowed to used the yard. They are jus using the interchanges again.
Does this mean that no traffic is going over the Bay Ridge Branch at all right now? Or does it just mean any Bay Ridge Branch traffic is using the street trackage on 1st Avenue and the yard farther north?

Spidey!!!
  by Ðauntless

Means the EDC is at it again. Yard sits empty and overgrown. Again. Seems NYNJ is handling the team tracks.
  by spidey3

I understand that the yard is idle - but is there any traffic on the line? My son seems to think that the track connection between the yard and the Bay Ridge Line has been severed in some way - but I think he misunderstood something he read in another forum...
  by DogBert

Was down there a month or two ago, and the line definitely wasn't/isn't severed. I can't imagine why/where that would happen.
  by SR4501

This is from a friend of a friend... 65th Street yard is owned by NY City. NYA gave up the rights because no business. Its too close to NJ. NYNJ can't access the yard because NYA owns the lead into the yard, NYA & NYNJ management do not get along. The FRA was doing an inspection of the Bay Ridge branch in a trackcar when a NYNJ engine came right at them. The FRA changed the interchange rules in Bay Ridge, and NYA had to install a private lock on the NYNJ switch, banding them from interchange until an NYA offical opens the lock for NYNJ to access the interchange.
  by Teutobergerwald

So NYA isn't even storing cars in the yard anymore?
  by Nova55

Not in a few months.
  by DogBert

that's a pretty wide story re: fra & the interchange being locked up now. I wonder if someone from nya has to drive down there or do they just meet for interchanges?
  by SR4501

DogBert wrote:that's a pretty wide story re: fra & the interchange being locked up now. I wonder if someone from nya has to drive down there or do they just meet for interchanges?
I belong to a RR club and various RR organizations and the NYA came up as a topic of discussion on current operations and one of our members friends, friends, not sure IF he works for the NYA or not, had told him and I am just passing on what had been mentioned.. whether true or not. :-D I am sure there are NYA employees on this board or friends of that could verify the information. :-D