• CN And EJ&E

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

by Great Northern

I was wondering, since CN has now aquired the elgin, joliet and eastern railroad, would it be possible to aquire the EJ&E from CN, even though the canadian national is the parent company of ej&e, and was also wondering if what i mentioned has happened before, what i mean is that if a railroad has bought another railroad and somebody has bought the railroad that the other railroad aquired?
  by Deval

I think we have a Rule G problem here...
  by CN Sparky

Deval wrote:I think we have a Rule G problem here...
LOL! Nice one...

I believe the reason CN bought the EJ&E was to divert traffic around the Chicago area... but as part of the deal, they spurned off the Gary railroad.. I assume that's part they didn't want??

As to someone else being able to buy the EJ&E back from CN? Not going to happen.
  by Great Northern

since CN has purchased the EJ&E railroad, why did they leave out a certain portion of the railroad(NOW NAMED GARY RAILWAY), was there a reason, or did they just not need that portion of track, since gary railway works with gary works, wouldnt that have made CN alot of money, since how large the industry is?
  by mtuandrew

Great Northern wrote:since CN has purchased the EJ&E railroad, why did they leave out a certain portion of the railroad(NOW NAMED GARY RAILWAY), was there a reason, or did they just not need that portion of track, since gary railway works with gary works, wouldnt that have made CN alot of money, since how large the industry is?
There are three possible reasons.
-US Steel didn't sell that part of the track, wishing to maintain several outside connections (CN, NS, CSX, CSS&SB, IHB)
-The Surface Transportation Board asked that Transtar (US Steel) not sell that line to CN to maintain competitive access
or
-CN still handles much of the traffic originating and terminating there, so they decided to forego the hassle of switching the Gary Works itself.
  by Great Northern

Since the canadian national railway has purchasing the elgin joliet and eastern railroad, will there be any changes in the east joliet yard, and was also wondering if they plan on adding any other railyard or expand trackage on the former ej&e line?
  by Deval

Yes.
Great Northern wrote:Since the canadian national railway has purchasing the elgin joliet and eastern railroad, will there be any changes in the east joliet yard, and was also wondering if they plan on adding any other railyard or expand trackage on the former ej&e line?
  by CN Sparky

Perhaps you should check out the CN website... www.cn.ca and look under the EJ&E information. You'll find the answers to all of your questions there.