• Why Are There So Many Applicants For A Conductor Position?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by Great Northern

In the railroad especially bnsf, the railroad i wish to work for as a conductor, why are there so many applicants for one job because i heard from bnsf(email)that they sometimes receive hundreds of applicants for one position, and was wondering why? why that position, why the railroad, do most people do it for the money or do most do it because they like the railroad, the reason im wondering this is because of those hundreds of applicants at least probably half have families, so why do they choose a career where your away from home?
  by scottychaos

you're joking right?

there are hundreds of applicants for these jobs because there are hundreds of applicants for EVERY job..
getting *any* job is better than no job at all..

haven't you been paying attention to the news for the last year or so?

Scot
  by AEM7AC920

Great Northern wrote:In the railroad especially bnsf, the railroad i wish to work for as a conductor, why are there so many applicants for one job because i heard from bnsf(email)that they sometimes receive hundreds of applicants for one position, and was wondering why? why that position, why the railroad, do most people do it for the money or do most do it because they like the railroad, the reason im wondering this is because of those hundreds of applicants at least probably half have families, so why do they choose a career where your away from home?
To begin with you are talking about a great job with excellent benefits, T&E jobs are the top spots on the railroad and the most prestigious. We make top $$ as far as non management with all the O.T etc etc. I'm sure a lot of people don't mind being away from home and it's good not having a boss up your butt every minute but I'm sure everyone has a different reason you just can't walk into an interview saying you want the job because it pays good.
  by AEM7AC920

scottychaos wrote:you're joking right?

there are hundreds of applicants for these jobs because there are hundreds of applicants for EVERY job..
getting *any* job is better than no job at all..

haven't you been paying attention to the news for the last year or so?

Scot
I would have to disagree partly, yes the economy has a lot more people applying for the jobs but even before the R.R was always a hard place to get on unless you know someone. When I hired out before the economy went south there still were over 300 people that applied for the same job that I was fortunate enough to get.
  by gp80mac

Great Northern wrote:In the railroad especially bnsf, the railroad i wish to work for as a conductor, why are there so many applicants for one job because i heard from bnsf(email)that they sometimes receive hundreds of applicants for one position, and was wondering why? why that position, why the railroad, do most people do it for the money or do most do it because they like the railroad, the reason im wondering this is because of those hundreds of applicants at least probably half have families, so why do they choose a career where your away from home?
Let me answer your question with a question. Why do *you* want a job on the railroad?

If someone has a family, then they probably want a decent paying job with benefits to take care of their family. Some people are strange like that.
  by slchub

The RR is not the only industry to have as many interested applicants. When I was in the airline industry we would have hundreds of applicants for gates, reservations and inflight (flight attendant). You should see the number of people who turn out for the cattle call hiring sessions for a $17.00 an hour (flight hour, not hourly) job as a flight attendant.

It all comes down to benefits. The airline industry offers decent benefits as well as flight privileges. The RR offers excellent benefits and a decent income without a college degree. I'm glad I made the switch (although I do miss the free flights).
  by pennsy

According to a recent poll in California, for every job available there is slightly over 12 applicants. Really heavy competition.
  by MDA1

Main reason is the high starting hourly rate with no formal education requirements needed. There are VERY FEW jobs like that these days, and probably are becoming fewer and fewer everyday. Your basically talking same pay as a skilled tradesman, electrician, plumber, etc. But with conductor, no mechanical exp. is necessary and you probably make more.
  by mkerfe

pennsy wrote:According to a recent poll in California, for every job available there is slightly over 12 applicants. Really heavy competition.
I talked to a women this summer who had applied to a job with the federal government. There was one opening and they got 5000 applications. And no that is not a typo- 5000 applicants for one job. She was lucky enough to get it. Lots of people out there looking.
  by Gadfly

AEM7AC920 wrote:
To begin with you are talking about a great job with excellent benefits, T&E jobs are the top spots on the railroad and the most prestigious. We make top $$ as far as non management with all the O.T etc etc. I'm sure a lot of people don't mind being away from home and it's good not having a boss up your butt every minute but I'm sure everyone has a different reason you just can't walk into an interview saying you want the job because it pays good.
I would say this is the primary reason. Then there's always been this fascination with railroads---even among non-fans. Then there are the "foamers"--the fans that, "always wanted to work for the railroad" and think they should hire out because they know (think) so much about it.

It has always been this way; it was in the 70's when I hired out. There were 80 people in the room (PACKED!) at the Southern Railway Bldg in Charlotte, NC when I applied. I was fortunate(?) to be hired on the first try.

Because there so many people applying for one or two jobs, the company can be "picky". It's not that everyone is "bad", but it's that they can choose the one they think best suited for the job! There'll be 99 other hopefuls, perhaps just as qualified as the other, left behind! If you really want the job, don't give up. There'll be more chances.

OH! Whatever you do, do NOT reveal that you are a railfan, or that you've 'just LOVED trains since you were a kid!" Many hiring officers HATE rail buffs, and if you let 'em know your "secret"
(if you are one), the interview will likely be over then and there! They've hired them before only to have them get FIRED even before they can get thru their probation! Don't SAY "railfan"!

GF
  by Engineer Spike

Your attitude will change after you have been cut off, or forced to a terminal hundreds of miles from home. I have seen hundreds of the hopeful newhires come an go in my 13 year career. Wait until your wife complains that the yard is a mess while you have been working 12 per night for the last month. There is little energy left for such tasks, especially when you have a 3 y. o. who hasn't seen daddy in a few days (and mom needs well deserved time alone).