• Which stations still have the old clicky Solari boards?

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by type 7 3704

Just wondering. The one at Boston's South Station got replaced about year ago and I was crushed when I saw the cruddy new LED signs. The one in New Haven is sadly under risk of replacement. I wonder where are they still used? There's a certain magic to them(combined with nostalgia) that I love about them and would like to see one in person again.
  by Jtgshu

Newark Penn Station in NJ still has a pretty big one down in teh waiting room, the smaller individual ones on the platforms seem to be getting replaced slowly however.

Interesting though, NJT's Secaucus Xfer station (opened in 2003) has new "old" Solari Boards, and they are color coded to each of the varoius NJT lines. And they look great!

Trenton Station had a smaller one (like room for 8 trains), it wsa still there a few months ago, but i dunno if its been replaced or not, as the renovations to the station are quickly wrapping up....
  by mkerfe

Not sure of the status of it (not listed anywhere on the wiki page) but Wilmington, DE has or had one.

I like the Solari boards and the clicking sound they make kind of old fashioned and cool!
  by Ken W2KB

mkerfe wrote:Not sure of the status of it (not listed anywhere on the wiki page) but Wilmington, DE has or had one.

I like the Solari boards and the clicking sound they make kind of old fashioned and cool!
When in Boston a few months ago, I noted that the new board emits a clicking sound, perhaps made to sound like the old one. However, it sounds at seemingly random intervals, not synchronized with display changes. Go figure.
  by type 7 3704

Still the Boston LED one sounds rather muffled and fake; it's not even close to what a real split-flap Solari sounds like.

As for the Wikipedia article, I suspect that it might be dated.