• Drop Fishing.

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Ken V

by Thomasturtle

Is there any railroad that will drop you off at a certian spot and pick you up later to hunt or fish? :-D
  by RedLantern

Alaska Railroad's Hurricane Turn line is the only one I can think of. Some scenic lines may do if from time to time if specially arranged ahead of time, but the Hurricane Turn is the only one that does it in regular service where you can get off anywhere you want and can later get back on by flagging the train down from anywhere alongside the tracks.
  by Montrealrail

We have the VIA 601-603 that he can drive you right trough a pourvoiry in north of Quebec province,and take you back after,but you have to call one day before youre leaving from the place,otherwise,you will see the train passing by without stopping...
  by Rockingham Racer

I remember the eastbound Canadian stopping in the middle of nowhere to let off campers, along with their canoes, in Norther Ontario.
  by RedLantern

Any tourist line that lets you get off at the end (you might have to buy 2 "one way" tickets) might work, but you might have to camp overnight. I've often thought about seeing if I can manage to get my kayak on a scenic train that follows a river (Conway Scenic for example), take the train upstream and ride the current back.
  by briann

In northern Ontario, the Ontario Northland Polar Bear Express will set down and pick just about anywhere between Cochrane and Moosonee (don't be misled by the name "Express"!). Quote from http://www.ontarionorthland.ca/en/railp ... press.html
"Canoes, ATVs and snowmobiles may also be transported at a surcharge; Ontario Northland’s Polar Bear Express is a flag stop train – this means that you may request to be dropped off at any point along the route to enjoy these outdoor adventure vehicles."
  by NeoArashi

I've taken the Northen Quebec train several time. There are a lot of Fishing/Hunting spot between La Tuque and Senneterre, also, there are an awesome Aboriginal village (well, awesome in the Winter) Called ''Weymont'' (My mother's from there!) Also, The northen Quebec train is most probably the cheapest train you can get in Canada. It cost me only 30$ for a roughly 275 Km trip!
  by NS VIA FAN

I rode the Saguenay from Montreal to Jonquiere last February. Interesting trip with people getting on and off at sign posts/mile posts all along the way in the middle of the woods. We were actually full leaving Riviere-a-Pierre with people heading for their cabins for the weekend. Here's a link to my Trip Report:

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 59&t=59982
  by FmFan

The Algoma Central used to drop people along the line between the SOO and Hearst, Ont. for fishing. Helped unload canoes on a trip once (in the 1990s). Not sure of the status of this line (maybe only the southern end is operational?) or if VIA/CN is still doing this. Beautiful area, likely good fishing as well.