• Latest CN retirements 2/5/09

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

by GMandGE

and the CN 7070's not in service, the Loco's B/o, Crossing deraillement.
  by CN Sparky

byte wrote:Also makes me wonder why CN is all of a sudden pulling motors from engines it gives to museums.
I suspect it's more to do with cutting costs than anything else. If you have a set of good traction motors that can be pulled and used on something else, that's 6 less traction motors you have to rebuild and pay labor on.

CN is a business after all.. it's all about cutting the costs where possible and making the most money for the shareholders. Giving away a locomotive is probably pretty low on the asset teams' list.
  by EJ&ESDM809

IRM is lucky CN didn't pull the traction motors on 7525. They donated WC 7495 and stripped it of all kinds of parts; traction motors, seats, etc. Normally they always strip the engine down before donating it, but for some reason 7525 was a exception. DM&IR SDM 316 is the other exception, CN didn't pull anything off of it either. In fact in 316's case, they put parts that they removed back on it.
  by CN Sparky

GMandGE wrote:and the CN 7070's not in service, the Loco's B/o, Crossing deraillement.
I'd think it's fair to say, any of the yard locos on CN's for sale list are going to be in really bad shape... given the state they let them run around in service... they have to be REALLY falling apart to be pulled out of service, much less sold..

Smashed up, blown up, etc. I just saw pictures of the 7203 up in Prince George... nicely bent up... and the 7309, when it was on that last list... I know the reasons it was retired, let's just say it wasn't a cheap repair!
  by GLC 392

The 7525 was going to be just legal enough to send to IRM till, Managment called and told the guys at Homewood to put brand new wheels and brand tractions motors before sending it to IRM.
  by Milwaukee_F40C

I saw IC 6071 still sitting in Effingham, it was on a line with other IC and Alstom SD40s all neatly sorted out. I'm still not completely convinced it will make it to Monticello, unless CN is holding on to it so they can put the parts back in. An EJE SD38 was switching nearby.
  by byte

I'm pretty sure Monticello has the capability to put motors back in trucks given the need to do so. They've got a LIRR RS-3 and an ex-Southern slug built from an RS-3. Supposedly the former has bad motors, and its replacements will come from the latter (which was acquired expressly for that purpose).