• My first radio scanner...

• Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.
Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.

Moderator: Aa3rt

by iceman977th

I've been wanting to get something to use when I railfan, and I finally have it. Uniden Bearcat BC560XLT 16-channel programmable police scanner w/ NWS weather radio. Got it from a guy for $30, includes AC plugin & car plugin, plus a mobile antenna. I've already used my labelmaker to mark down CSX, NS, and KRT frequencies, after I spent half an hour to program them into the scanner.

Not the best, but can't beat it for $30.
  by RedLantern

Here's mine, a Bearcat BC220FB I picked up at a yard sale for 5 bucks when I was 17. The guy I bought it off didn't have any idea what it was. I spent a lot of times in Ayer with it on my passenger seat with it's 12v input connected through some half ass wiring to the cigarette lighter plug. I have a cheap radioshack handheld now, but that old one seemed to pull in the signals so much better. I'm not sure what ever happened to it, I wish I still had it, maybe it's somewhere in the basement under the pile of junk on what was supposed to be my HO train table.
  by scotty269

I'm using my dad's old Radioshack Pro-23 and it picks up local RR and ATC. It's a bit dated, but it does what it needs to do! :-D
  by jaymac

scotty269-
u had me buggin w/ ur avatar

First scanner? A 16-channel crystal Bearcat squeezed into the glove compartment of a SAAB 96 with a wye off the AM-FM radio antenna
  by scotty269

jaymac wrote:scotty269-
u had me buggin w/ ur avatar

First scanner? A 16-channel crystal Bearcat squeezed into the glove compartment of a SAAB 96 with a wye off the AM-FM radio antenna
Heh...
  by Finch

Holy crud scotty, that's a trippy avatar.

My first (and only) scanner is a RS PRO-82 bought new. But seeing this thread reminds me that I should expand my "yard sale junk" survey to include scanners/radios, in addition to the usual electronic gadgets that normally catch my eye. I love the idea of coming across some old gem to feed my (currently underdeveloped) interest in radio.
  by Plate F

Hehe glad somebody liked my avatar :)