• Apartments with Rail views

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

by braddryer86

Thought this mzy be helpful to many, Would like to start a thread on listing safe nice apartments with a railfan view. I recently moved back to michigan from Atlanta after being furloughed by CSX and we were at M Street Apartments which face the King Plow Howell mill area with a busy 3 track NS Line and a busy double track CSX line. I am currently looking for work all over the country and wanted to an apartment that cool again. Anyways so heres my short list that I have found so far. I am hoping this list helps others as well.

Naperville, Il - Railway Plaza Apartments

Atlanta, GA - M street Apartments
  by Rockingham Racer

There's a whole bunch of them in the Beverly section along the RI Suburban line going south from 95th St to about 103rd St.
  by ToledoTerminalRy

just nextdoor to me in Oregon, OH are some decent apartments (a quadplex) with a backyard that looks directly onto the CSX detroit columbus (x-Toledo Terminal) 2 Track main. somewhere around 25 trains a day but I am not home durring the day but on weekends id say that estimate is close :-) There are some apartments in Perrysburg, OH about 1/4 mile from Stanley train yard, a complete guess is about 20 trains a day through that yard. From those apartments you coud hear the hump working there all day and night!

P.S. Ill keep my gears working to think of more places soon!

Ryan
  by doepack

For Chicago-area railfans, Wheaton Center apartments is simply marvelous. It's located in the Chicago suburb of Wheaton IL, a complex made of 6 buildings, 4 low-rise units and two 20-story hi-rises, just down the street from the Metra station. The hi-rises offer a FANTASTIC view from above UP's triple-track, (ex-CNW) Geneva subdivision (and can be viewed from balconies in the spring and summer), plus there's plenty of traffic that averages close 100 trains a day, 60% of which are Metra commuter trains, with the rest being UP freights of all shapes and sizes from long coal drags, stack/container, roadrailers (aka "Z" trains), ethanol, and general manifest. Traffic is down a bit these days due to the economy, but it's still busy enough to be interesting, and there are times when you've got trains moving on all three tracks at once, which is a sight to see (and hear!). Also, there are renovations going on in the complex right now, and the rent can be a bit pricey, but if you're a railfan and if it's affordable and/or convenient for you, I highly recommend it...
  by Engineer Spike

Naperville, IL has a mall which was converted from a factory building. They have loft apartments on the upper stories. It is right near the BNSF mains.
  by Northwest727

ToledoTerminalRy wrote:just nextdoor to me in Oregon, OH are some decent apartments (a quadplex) with a backyard that looks directly onto the CSX detroit columbus (x-Toledo Terminal) 2 Track main. somewhere around 25 trains a day but I am not home durring the day but on weekends id say that estimate is close :-) There are some apartments in Perrysburg, OH about 1/4 mile from Stanley train yard, a complete guess is about 20 trains a day through that yard. From those apartments you coud hear the hump working there all day and night!

P.S. Ill keep my gears working to think of more places soon!

Ryan

Nice!

I live in Perrysburg Township, in an apartment that overlooks the ex-T&OC West Division, now used by CSX. The rails run literally right in "my" backyard...I love it! About a mile or two the east of me is Stanley yard, and the Toledo Terminal is about 1/4 mile or so to the north. I hear train horns 24/7, along with squealing steel from Stanley Yard.