• New Haven plow spotted

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by Richard Glueck

The Maine and Eastern Rialroad yard in ROckland, Maine, has a former Conrail snowplow sitting in it. THe Ridgeway plow is painted yellow as a Conrail piece, but in the upper rear corners it has PRR 60084 stenciled. Underneather the peeling Conrail paint, the New Haven herald is clearly evident! This is standard railroad lettering, too, so it is an ex-NH piece. The plow is in rough shape, but repairable. It was delivered from the Finger Lakes Region of New York state.
Apparently the Morristown and Erie, which owns the Maine and Eastern, got the idea that we were in the Arctic region of the earth and required such a piece.

Thought you New Haven fans would like to know.

by Otto Vondrak

There's also a former NH plow based in Rochester, NY... the NH lettering is starting to come through... CR 64513.

go to this page and scroll down...

http://crcyc.railfan.net/mow/snow/mwsnow.html

-otto-
  by Richard Glueck

THis one is Conrail 64525.
  by HighlandRail&DEY-7 652

What's the status on the one in Rochester? Will it be available at some point?

by Otto Vondrak

Contact CSX in Rochester... last time I checked, local foreman was Paul Tresco. Don't know how "available" these plows are. There were two Russell style plows stored at Atlantic Avenue for the longest time... dont know what their plans are.

-otto-
  by oakpoint

Back in the early eighties we had a Jordan Spreader at Oak Point yard for a short time. I had the opportunity to operate this spreader on the Bay Ridge branch several times.

I recall when operating these machines one had to be careful of the brakes. For some reason they were kind of slow to react so you had to judge carefully when planning to stop say like coming up to a bridge where the steel was close to the track.

One time I had another enginner with me, Bob Lindsay and he asked if he could give it a try. He was going along ( at a slow pace) which is normal for a spreader when we were closing in on a bridge.

I told him to be careful and apply the brakes. He hesitated too long and while the brake were taking effect we rolled into the bridge with the right side blade extended pushing the spreader sideways derailing both the spreader and locomotive, A B-23-7 behind us rolling the rail under us. This was right around Key Foods warehouse.
When the work crew came to rerail us it started to rain, oh my! :(