• Olympian Hiawatha collision with automobile

• Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.
Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.

Moderator: Komachi

by carlsauction

I am researching some family history and wondered if any old TMR buffs have any information of a collision in Renton Washington on march 4th or 5th 1961 between the Olympian Hiawatha and an automobile.

My Uncle and his wife and baby were killed in the collision and we are looking for any information that might be available, accident reports etc.

The newspaper article gives "Emil Schweighardt" as the name of the engineer.

I know this is a long shot, but thought someone might know someone who knows something about this.

Thanks

BTW: I grew up in South Dakota a couple of miles from TMR's main line and I miss those orange trains. BN (now BNSF) green doesn't seem right to me!!
  by Nancy Spooner

I wish I would have seen this article a couple months ago. The Olympian Hiawatha conductor that I was discussing this with died just this month.