Discussion relating to the B&O up to it's 1972 merger into Chessie System. Visit the B&O Railroad Historical Society for more information. Also discussion of the C&O up to 1972. Visit the C&O Historical Society for more information. Also includes the WM up to 1972. Visit the WM Historical Society for more information.
  by mike253

This line ran in a north/south direction and actually passed my uncle's back yard (single track.)
Does anyone know when and why the line was removed?
Also, did it connect with the B&O south of the city or was it an independent operation?
Thanks!
  by bluegrass-express

mike253 wrote:This line ran in a north/south direction and actually passed my uncle's back yard (single track.)
Does anyone know when and why the line was removed?
Also, did it connect with the B&O south of the city or was it an independent operation?
Thanks!
I don't know much of the history of the WM, but I recall it made use of the B&O yard in Connellsville.
I just found this map of the WM system; you can zoom in on one half or other of it. Left half shows the WM running parallel to the B&O from Sand Patch to C'ville, across the Y... River.
http://www.railsandtrails.com/WM/SystemMap/index.htm
I would venture a guess that Chessie System didn't have a need for both lines running to Connellsville. This Rails and Trails website seems to focus on Ohio, but it has an entry in the "text" section for a scanned version of a WM railroad history. I couldn't open it, but I'm sure any WM fan or book could give info on when and why the line was removed.
  by scooter3798

Most of the western half of the WM was abandonned in 1976. This was due to the consolidation of the operations by Chessie with that of the B&O. The WM trains still retained for the most part WM crews into the 1980's, and were considered to be WM trains, however they ran over B&O trackage. Are you sure you are talking about the WM in Connellsville? For the most part they ran east-west through the inhabited part of town, with the exception of the trackage to Bowest yard, but that wasn't all that long of a stretch, and that would be more Dunbar than Connellsville. If this is indeed the section of trackage you are talking about it was the connection between the WM mainline and their principle yard in the C'ville area, Bowest. Primarily this yard functioned as an interchange yard for the B&O (Bowest being a contraction of B&O and WM), it provided some local class work as well, and also had an engine service facility, as a number of trains would swap power here being that it was the western terminus of the WM. At the south end of the yard there was the connection to the B&O's line from C'ville to Grafton. The WM also had trackage rights over the B&O to reach some coal branches in the Chiefton, WV area.

In the later years most trains going to the P&LE and P&WV did their yard work at Dickerson Run (P&LE) west of C'ville, or West Connellsville yard (also P&LE) after Dickerson Run was closed (I think in 1971). The P&WV work was usually done at their Rook Yard south of Pittsburgh. Most trains would just get a crew change at Bowest Jct without ever leaving the main and just continue on. Occasionally I think a block of cars would be swapped out at Bowest, but not all that much work was done on the through trains such as the AJ's. The WM also interchanged with the Pennsy in C'ville at Greenwood yard, which really wasn't much of a yard. It was located to the west of Bowest Jct, about opposite the river from the engine facility of the B&O's yard. It was only a couple of tracks off of the main, and I don't think that there was ever much traffic handled there.

Based on the description of the trackage that you provided it sounds more like the Pennsy than the WM though. In that case most of the Pennsy trackage still exists in C'ville and is operated, sparatically, by the SWP. However the trackage in downtown C'ville has been removed, as has the bridge over the B&O and the river to reach the connection with the WM, so it basically stub ends just to the north of downtown, and is visible from route 119.

Hope this helps you out,

Scooter