• XA Tower

• Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail
Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail

Moderator: David

by nydepot

Any idea where XA Tower was? This would have been pre-WWI. Thanks.

Charles
  by Marty Feldner

nydepot wrote:Any idea where XA Tower was? This would have been pre-WWI. Thanks.

Charles
Welcome to the quest, Charles!

by nydepot

There is a quest?

Charles
  by Marty Feldner

This thread was bumped up by a spam message; not a bad thing, because I'd forgotten about it, and have more info.

First, some background. A few years ago the Chester (NY) Historical Society was contacted by a woman looking for geneaological information on a couple of her husband's ancestors. A grandfather and grand uncle had worked for the L&HR and lived in the Greycourt area. She had a picture of one of them standing in front of XA tower that she thought was on the L&HR. The society contacted me, and I passed it on to Ed Crist; we both started digging into it.

The L&HR had no towers, so her theory was out on that point. At first I thought it might have been the Erie's tower at Greycourt (it looked similar, but the only photo I have of the Greycourt tower is not the best).

Ed's contacts with Erie historians finally nailed it. Apparently the grand uncle had migrated to the Erie from the L&HR; XA was the Erie's tower controlling a siding at Cheechunk, between Goshen and New Hampton (in the general area of the current Orange County Jail).

L&HR content- the grandfather moved to Warwick and worked his way to up chief dispatcher before retiring from the railroad, sometime in the fifties.
  by Paul Miller

Minor correction Marty, the L.H.R. did have a tower at Franklin, N.J. for a while, although it was connected to the station. :-D
  by Marty Feldner

I didn't forget about Franklin, but I should have been a little more specific.

The photo supplied by the originator of the question was of XA, an otherwise unidentified stand-alone tower, not attached to any other building. That's what ruled out the L&HR.

Here's the photo in question:
XA Tower.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.