• C&D customer off the Eldee siding

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by Sir Ray

Do you mean there are more gondolas today, or the same amount as your last post (a week or so back). Also, did anything else change, like track work?

Shame this forum is a bit slow these past few months...
  by LRail

No, there were more today than last week. -Lee
  by Sir Ray

Hmm, I didn't really see any Deer Park maps on your linked pages (probably the first map...but I did search for "Deer Park"
Anyway, the siding (I believe) is to the west of Commack Rd, South of (and right off the Main-line (and hence south of Long Island Ave) in Deer Park - here's a Live Local Image

BTW, I found some of the Maps on your first link a bit disturbing - the 1986 Long Island Freight Map seems to indicate a float operation to Staten Island [I guess it's just a really inaccurate map representation of Greenville in Jersey City, although it looks silly - the B&O float operation must have been gone by 1980 (and wouldn't be ConRail either)].
The 1990s Central Freight Branch map showing the sidings off the Central Branch is just plain wrong - I was often in that area in the 1980s even (and passed through on my commute every workday in the 1990s), and there were very few remaining sidings even then.
  by nyandw

BTW, I found some of the Maps on your first link a bit disturbing - the 1986 Long Island Freight Map seems to indicate a float operation to Staten Island [I guess it's just a really inaccurate map representation of Greenville in Jersey City, although it looks silly - the B&O float operation must have been gone by 1980 (and wouldn't be ConRail either)].
The 1990s Central Freight Branch map showing the sidings off the Central Branch is just plain wrong - I was often in that area in the 1980s even (and passed through on my commute every workday in the 1990s), and there were very few remaining sidings even then.[/quote]

Hi Sir Ray: I am currently on the hunt for R. Emery maps of that area. LI Ave and Commack Rd. Thanks for pinpointing the location. As far as the maps on this page: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrmaps.htm...these area maps are provided by others, and as we all know maps by themselves are questionable at best until backed up with ETTs, photos, on the scene employee reports, etc.

Are these maps really "a bit disturbing" or just not proto correct? Agree, but the page is of what is available, etc.

1. The NYA inaccurate map was/is a LIRR Freight Brochure 05/86 Archive: Paul Strubeck, thus your beef should be with the artist and marketing dept of NYA.

2. The 1990's Central Branch drawing and Article at "http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/images/central.gif" is Roger Ramsdale's appearing in Cannonball or Semaphore. IMHO only: His intent was to provide an overview not a detailed tome, etc. Please contact him to further discuss his inaccuracies.

3. To go to the other end of the spectrum where I post data I believe to be known, factual, and accurate; here's an example: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/islip/islip.htm

4. Rather then nitpick a person's efforts: Perhaps provide better maps, links to your website(s) historical data, an update map to the "incorrect info" posted, etc.

Clearly a great map of the 2. The 1990's Central Branch drawing and Article would be of interest to all. http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/mineola/mineola.htm part of the Central Branch. Image Emery map 1959 Hempstead Branch to Garden City MP20 north/south Also, Central Extension (Branch) MP18-MP19 west/east
http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/mineol ... tead-4.jpg

5. Please post additional maps, info on this branch so as to correct: ..."I was often in that area in the 1980s even (and passed through on my commute every workday in the 1990s), and there were very few remaining sidings even then..."

Thanks for your constructive criticism and we await the corrections, more accurate data, and your insight to correct the posted errors on this page.

Regards,
Steve Lynch
  by Sir Ray

Oops, I see the word 'Disturbing' (in the Darth Vader sense) was a bit of a mistake.

I realize the LIRR freight map was an official one from the mid-1980s (which is a bit of a surprize, as I didn't even realize they were marketing their Freight services then - I recall that the LIRR tried to get rid of freight service during the 1970s, although on-line references to that remain elusive to my searches). Unfortunately like many maps put out by officialdom, it has that Staten Island float bridge operation, which is just misleading - that sure is NOT your fault by any means, but the creator of that map.

Now, as for the central branch sidings in Garden City (East)/Uniondale, I unfortunately do not possess any further detailed maps than what is already out there (I know I have seen nicely detailed track maps of the area on-line, including the 'bronze spur') - by the early 1990s most of the spurs had been removed (or at least abandoned), and already retail was well established (for example, I believe the site of the A&P warehouse became the site of the Caldors, now Burlington, retail strip center). Also, I think the siding to the Refridgerated Warehouse off Dribblee (since demolished and replaces by Lowes) was removed in the very early 1990s, but for a few years later Reefers were placed on the main branch track.

Hey, did you remember (or even contribute to) this thread early this year - perhaps it may help, or at least be of interest:
Thread about Freight traffic decades ago in Carle Place & Garden City
  by nyandw

Sir Ray wrote:Oops, I see the word 'Disturbing' (in the Darth Vader sense) was a bit of a mistake. "...Hey, did you remember (or even contribute to) this thread early this year - perhaps it may help, or at least be of interest:..."
Thread about Freight traffic decades ago in Carle Place & Garden City

Yes, I remember it quite well, thank you. . "Abandoned Spur in Carle Place" There were five replies by my friend, co-author, and LIRR Historian Dave Keller specific to the topic. Mr. Keller provided specific information on a number of issues within the topic; corrections, data, and historical location information.

I had no further information to add in this area of his expertise, thus no posts from me.

Best,
Steve
  by tj48

Noticed the other day what looks to be a boxcar on the siding next to the building that precedes the area that Astro uses to unload stone cars. Could not get a good view though, the siding was loaded with stone cars. New customer?
  by mainline

Salesmaster received a Southern Boxcar full of bricks awhile back.
  by The Tenth Legion

I thought Salesmaster was a customer from NYA's early days that they hyped and then it crapped out on them??? Anyone have anymore information? Are they an occasional customer? Thanks.
  by Sir Ray

The Tenth Legion wrote:I thought Salesmaster was a customer from NYA's early days that they hyped and then it crapped out on them??? Anyone have anymore information? Are they an occasional customer? Thanks.
I remember that story, and I think the main problem was gates being locked and/or truck trailers parked on the siding.
However, now that there's semi-regular rail service in the lot (as demostrated by all the hoppers on that siding), I'm guessing that's no longer a problem.
  by rb

On Live Local you can see that there are at least 2 fences on the siding before it reaches the Salesmaster building.

How exactly do they spot the sand hoppers? Seems like it would be hard to drop ~15 cars in there without blocking any loading docks. And it must be a royal pain to pluck cars from SM with 15 stone hoppers sitting in front...
  by tj48

The building I saw the boxcar at is between the Salesmaster and the PC Richards building. As for the stone cars, the siding the boxcar was on was alongside the the track that the stone cars get pushed down.
  by hrfcarl

While not the Eldee siding this is in the neighborhood: There were 2 box cars (believe CN making) on the remaning section of siding that used to go into the new Tanger Mall in Deer Park. Why there and who are they for?

BTW, what is this siding called?
  by freightguy

That costumer is Roberts Plywood. A trailing point switch off Southern co. lead. A real pain in the a#* for crews to switch. Most of the time receives those exact CN boxcars. Benn around since about 2000 brought online by NYAR marketing. LIRR did have a lumber cosignee there years ago.