• Grade Crossing horns and "W" signs

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by Andrew

Actually a couple of questions.

Are the "W" signs mandatory?? I believe they are there to inform the engineer of a slow train where to blow their horn....but when going 80MPH...it can be done sooner.
Another words..is it a Violation of LIRR Rules If the engineer blows his horn BEFORE the "W"sign??

Second Question.

The "LONG LONG SHORT LONG.....Can ONE series of horn blasts be used in a series of Grade Crossings that are close together.such as in Farmingdale or Mineola.......Or does EACH individual crossing require its OWN individual set of horn blasts??
  by DutchRailnut

The W sign's are just reminders, they are not mandatory, several railroads no longer use them.
If they're used they must be at certain distance based on Max speed at Crossing.
Its engineers obligation to start crossing sequence of two long short long , between 15 and 20 seconds from crossing.
  by RetiredLIRRConductor

W signs are called whistle posts.
On April 27, 2005, the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA), which enforces rail safety regulations, published the final rule on the use of locomotive horns at highway-rail grade crossings. Effective June 24, 2005, the rule requires that locomotive horns be sounded at all public grade crossings at least 15 seconds, but not more than 20 seconds before entering a crossing. This rule applies when the train speed is below 45 mph (70 km/h). At 45 mph or above, trains are still required to sound their horn at the designated location (usually marked with a whistle post).

The pattern for blowing the horn remains two long, one short, and one long. This is to be repeated as necessary until the lead locomotive fully occupies the crossing. Locomotive engineers retain the authority to vary this pattern as necessary for crossings in close proximity, and are allowed to sound the horn in emergency situations no matter where the location
RULE 14 (l) * – – o – Trains or engines approaching public highway grade crossings shall sound the horn for at least 15 seconds, but no more than 20 seconds before the lead engine enters the crossing. Trains or engines travelling at speeds greater than 45 mph shall begin sounding the horn at or about, but not more than, one-quarter mile (1,320 feet) in advance of the nearest public crossing. Even if the advance warning provided by the horn will be less than 15 seconds in duration. This signal is to be prolonged or repeated until the engine or train occupies the crossing; or, where multiple crossing are involved, until the last crossing is occupied. 2. Approaching tunnels, yards, or other points where railroad workers may be at work. 3. Passing standing trains
  by Rockingham Racer

Down here on the UP, they're "X" signs.
  by emfinite

I like the old Southern Ry signs....

_
_
O
_

Vertically... Rule 14L. Long, Long, Short, Long
  by scharnhorst

emfinite wrote:I like the old Southern Ry signs....

_
_
O
_

I find then old Southern signs with the _ _o_ to be intresting I wonder if this is W in the Morris code alfabet?? Anyways correct me if I'm wrong but are some of these still standing on Norfolk Southern?

What dose the little Yellow or White Triangle Sign with the Big Black Dot Mean?? I have seen these mostley near Farm Crossings no one that I had worked with on Sperry know what they ment.
  by 130MM

scharnhorst wrote:
emfinite wrote:I like the old Southern Ry signs....

_
_
O
_

I find then old Southern signs with the _ _o_ to be intresting I wonder if this is W in the Morris code alfabet?? Anyways correct me if I'm wrong but are some of these still standing on Norfolk Southern?

What dose the little Yellow or White Triangle Sign with the Big Black Dot Mean?? I have seen these mostley near Farm Crossings no one that I had worked with on Sperry know what they ment.
The yellow triangle with the black dot is most likely a flanger sign. It tells the operators of flangers and snowplows to lift the flanger, there is an obstruction is coming up. The flanger actually hangs down lower than the top of rail when in operation. So anything that is even with the top of rail (crossing, turnout, etc.) would be struck by the flanger.

DAW
  by BR&P

International Morse Code

- - o - Q
o - - W

Railroad Morse was slightly different - the W is the same as above but there is no character corresponding to the crossing sequence.
  by scharnhorst

I rember seeing an White Oval sign with the W cut out of it once along an abandonded Lehigh Valley ROW would anyone have any idea as to what this would be??