• NJ DOT map errors

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by R36 Combine Coach

The NJ DOT GIS mapping programs probably produces some of the best and most informational maps available. Even so, they often contain errors. The latest edition NJ Railroad map (2007) has various errors, many which been unchanged for quite some time:

-The Rahway Valley is shown as active from Summit to Roselle Park.

-Conrail Freehold Secondary beween Freehold and Farmingdale active

-Wharton & Northern (CNJ) active north from Chester/Lake Junction to Picatinny

-NYSW Pompton Branch (ex-Erie Greenwood Lake) still active from Pompton Junction to Wayne. No service here since 1988.

-CNJ still runs into downtown Newark! (more detail on Essex County map)

-LV spur into Flemington active

-Black River & Western active to Lambertville (out of service since 1998)

-Morristown & Erie spur to Channel Lumber in Whippany off NJ Route 10 (shown) was abandoned by 1991

-NJT (Erie) Boonton active through Kearny and over DB Draw

On the NJ DOT's official Essex County map, the old NJT/Erie Boonton line is completely missing from the Montclair connection to WR Draw...

That's only a sampler.
  by sullivan1985

Forest Hill Branch is still active from Forest Hill, Newark to to West Orange, despite there being no rail after Hartz Mountain in Bloomfield.
  by peconicstation

The Essex County Map is quite interesting.

It shows the lower Boonton Line only running to the point of WR, and then nothing until Montclair, as was noted.

BUT is also shows the Erie Newark Branch as intact, including what would be NX draw.

I would dare say that the chances of a train crossing WR are a lot better than one ever crossing NX again, not to mention all
the sever points on the Newark Branch east.

It also appears to show the Erie Caldwell branch as well.

Ken
  by rrbluesman

Wow, that map has a ton of errors. It's south Jersey portion shows lines that were abandoned in the 1950s, that's really impressive they would put out a map like that.
  by R36 Combine Coach

Some other thing to note:

-Morristown & Erie main lime ending at Essex Fells. Currently ends in Roseland at Interstate 280 (B&G).

-Erie Main Line continues west off Bergen Line from Rutherford to Passaic River

On Hudson County map, Bergen Line continues south from HX to Bergen Junction along current Seaview Drive ROW. No NJ Turnpike Interchange 15X either.

CNJ HIgh Bridge Branch, Wharton & Northern and Mount Hope Mineral Railroad access Hopatcong Junction in Morris County .
  by bigkidtrainz31

Yeah you beat me to the Erie Main/Bergen Line
error. There were plans to turn that stretch into
a walking/biking path as part of the rails-to-trails
program. I haven't heard/read the latest tho.
I made a full size version on the large format
printer at work :-D Thanks for posting it !
Peace,
  by wolfboy8171981

R36 Combine Coach wrote:The NJ DOT GIS mapping programs probably produces some of the best and most informational maps available. Even so, they often contain errors. The latest edition NJ Railroad map (2007) has various errors, many which been unchanged for quite some time:

-Conrail Freehold Secondary beween Freehold and Farmingdale active

-NYSW Pompton Branch (ex-Erie Greenwood Lake) still active from Pompton Junction to Wayne. No service here since 1988.

-Black River & Western active to Lambertville (out of service since 1998)

-Morristown & Erie spur to Channel Lumber in Whippany off NJ Route 10 (shown) was abandoned by 1991

-NJT (Erie) Boonton active through Kearny and over DB Draw

On the NJ DOT's official Essex County map, the old NJT/Erie Boonton line is completely missing from the Montclair connection to WR Draw...

That's only a sampler.
Just keep in mind if its not offically abandoned with the STB it is still and "active" ROW.
  by radioboy

Really I'm just baffled as to why things like the PRR back road via TR, Seaside, and Bay Head, Williamstown and Mullica Hill branches at Glassboro, the tracks to and on LBI, etc are still on the map, even as abandoned. It's not like there's ever any chance these ROWs would be active again. Even the eastern portion of the Jamesburg Branch (now the Edgar Felix trail) is still shown.
  by R36 Combine Coach

The Ciba-Geigy spur shown in Toms River lasted until 1990. The line is overgrown now.
  by amtrakhogger

radioboy wrote:Really I'm just baffled as to why things like the PRR back road via TR, Seaside, and Bay Head, Williamstown and Mullica Hill branches at Glassboro, the tracks to and on LBI, etc are still on the map, even as abandoned. It's not like there's ever any chance these ROWs would be active again. Even the eastern portion of the Jamesburg Branch (now the Edgar Felix trail) is still shown.
I have a GPS that still shows the PRR Seaside-Camden line on the map while the CNJ Southern Div. is absent when
you drive through Whiting on 539.
  by sullivan1985

amtrakhogger wrote:I have a GPS that still shows the PRR Seaside-Camden line on the map while the CNJ Southern Div. is absent when
you drive through Whiting on 539.
Most GPS units will display all kinds of abandoned RoW all across northwestern New Jersey and Orange County, NY.
  by R36 Combine Coach

Even more interesting are the NJ DOT's 1998 county maps (archived as of 2001).

Hudson County: PATH Grove Street station is named "Grant St", connection between Amtrak North River Tunnel and NYC/Erie at waterfront

Essex County: Newark City Subway as part of Conrail. Ampere and North Newark stations on Monclair Branch and Boonton Line respectively. Both were long gone by 1998. Ampere closed circa 1989 and North Newark closed much earlier (possibly 70s, not sure of date). Also Erie Orange Branch entirely intact to West Orange.

Somerset County: NJ Transit station at Bridgewater named "Calco". Renamed Bridgewater in 1996.
  by sullivan1985

R36 Combine Coach wrote:Hudson County: connection between Amtrak North River Tunnel and NYC/Erie at waterfront
There is no connection (in reality or the map). That red line crossing the Conrail/CSX tracks is just the red line that crossing the NEC that shows its a railroad.
  by R36 Combine Coach

That's not the error I'm mentioning. Look further east, by the Lincoln Tunnel helix.
  by sullivan1985

R36 Combine Coach wrote:That's not the error I'm mentioning. Look further east, by the Lincoln Tunnel helix.
Ahh yes never mind. I stand corrected. No wait, no I don't. That's CP SECRET. Didn't you know :-P