• UP employment

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by conductorforlife

I know to work for a railroad you have to go through the hiring procedure. If you have made it all the way to the physical part of the hiring and passed this are you officially hired or do you have to wait until you are contacted? If you are hired, do you just wait for them to call you to tell you where the training session is?

Thanks in advance
  by NS03

Hi,

It sounds like you have the job, but just keep in mind that UP can reject
your
application for employment during a 60 day probationary period. If you applied
on-line then I'm sure you must have seen that on there web...

I hired out on the Norfolk Southern and my probationary period started the
day I was promoted to a conductor after a 5 month period of training.

It's during this time the railroad will try to terminate you
if you screw up...

If you hired out with several candidates, you may not all get called at
the
same time to start your conductor training. I hired out with a large group
and
it took several months to run everyone through training down
in
Mc Donough, Georgia.

Good Luck!!!
  by foundsheep

I was given a start date for training for April 5th, I just did the medical on March 17. My question is do they let you know if youve passed within a reasonable amount of time? I want to be able to give my employer notice.
Also does anyone know how strict the physical standards are?
  by LCJ

This is a tough one....

Because of the accelerated pace of the hiring process, people are brought into training even though they are not officially "hired" yet. If bad news comes from any source after the process has begun, you will most likely be asked to leave immediately. This includes physical exam, drug screens, and background checks. The background check is the one that gets most people disqualified after going to training. I know of one who was terminated after being on OJT for 3 weeks because an arrest popped up that was not disclosed on the application.

If you are confident that all of these sources are clean, and you have not misrepresented the truth on your application in any way, you will be safe to give that notice, I would say.

See my other post in reply to you question about the training, too. Make sure you are up to the task! Going in with your eyes open is essential.

Good luck!
  by conductorforlife

Thanks for the information it has really helped.
  by Milwaukeeroad

I Applied for a Up conductors position. The deadline to apply came and went. I noticed know they have reposted it on there web site again. I have been checking my application status on UPs web site and it says keep checking back. I know it says it can take awhile to get a reply, however I'm wondering If I should reapply? I'm thinking that maybe not many people applied so they might keep it open until they can justify holding a job preview? Can someone give me a little insight as to what I should do, OR maybe someone has gone through this same process? Any info. will help.

Thanks,
Milwaukeeroad
  by conductorforlife

foundsheep you and I may have been at the same hiring session I private messaged you check your message and let me know if we were at the same session.

by UP northeast

The UP gives about a 3 week notice before the beginning of training, so you shouldn't give notice until you recieve the final call to start
  by foundsheep

Here the day they signed us up after the hiring session they gave us a start date. And I just got the call for a reminder. I asked about the medical and the lady told me that was a diffrent department and gave me the old You can start training without and if they find something you get the boot. But Im willing to take a shot. :wink: