• All Aboard

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by steamal

Is ""All aboard" a command or a question?
  by henry6

If the station master or agent announces a train it is a command or announcement to the passenger to board. If the conductor or trainman(person) says it when a train stops he is addressing the passengers, commanding them to get on. After the passengers are aboard the conductor or trainman(person) will say it in declaration and to command the designated crew member to command the engineer(engineman) to move the train. If uttered by a passenger standing on the platform as the train pulls out, it is a question in disgust for having missed the train.
  by RearOfSignal

Does anyone even say 'all aboard' anymore?

I'll shout it every once in a while if someone taking too long to get aboard or standing in the door. It's more polite than yelling: "Get your butt on train! What the hell is your problem?"
  by Jtgshu

When I was still a conductor, I would do it all the time at each station - for a few reasons.......

1) to get the people on or off the train and away from the doors

2) to wake up my crew members (head brakemen) who probably aren't paying attention or looking at me

3) to make sure the doors wouldn't close before I told the crew too (meaning that I wouldn't get left) - my brakeman knew that If he didn't hear me, to NOT shut the doors!!!!
  by PRRGuy

I still say "All Aboard" as well...some of you know the commuter types, they think that just because they are on your train everyday that you'll wait for them..

Ryan
  by David Benton

do you have a whistle to blow ? That always seems to get people moving here .
  by Burner

I never say "all aboard" but i do tell my hogger "I'm aboard" if we are in a hurry and I jump on the trailing units...

When i do that I mean kick em off and pull, dont wait for me to get to the headend