• Clover Leaf in Toledo

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

by VITO

Does anyone know of any pics of the Railyard that ran along the Anthony Wayne trail in the early 60s near the Toledo Zoo? Thanx

by nycrick

Not really, although the Fall 2000 edition of CLASSIC TRAINS has an article about this line. There are pictures from Delphos and along Stitt Rd and the one picture of the Toledo yard doesn't really show anything.

You might want to try the Toledo Public Library site. Also the Bluebird (T&LEW) might have something.

by VITO

Thanx Rick i did order the back issue of Classic Trains it was interesting. I remember as a kid waiting for trains at that crossing on South street in Toledo must have been about 64 or so. Anyway thanx for the response.
  by esprrfan

There still trackage in the field where the yard once was. I'll look for my map of the yard I was given when I hired out,,,,,,,in 2004
  by esprrfan

There still trackage in the field where the yard once was. I'll look for my map of the yard I was given when I hired out,,,,,,,in 2004

by VITO

Thanx Esprrfan, i have been trying to catch a glimpse now when i drive the trail. I know the trackage is still somewhat intact into downtown Toledo. I also
seem to remember there was some kind of RR buildings across south street by the coal company. Problem is i was only 4 or 5 then !! LOLOL P.S i think Ns ran a local from Maumee on that track until the early 80s maybe. They would run around their train under the I 75 eway.

by WNYRailfan

This was posted as a reply to one of my posts from 2005.
jimnorthwood wrote:The short-lived Toledo Central operated on the former CloverLeaf between South Ave and the former interchange near the Toledo Zoo. Actually, sections of the former CloverLeaf are still in place beyond South Avenue. If you follow the Anthony Wayne Trail where it passes beneath Interstate 75 you can see some rail still in place underneath the overpass. One of the bridges on this route where it crosses over the NS Water Level Route was raised about 12 inches a couple of years ago. And I'm pretty sure that none of this route was ever formally abandoned with the ICC or STB. When the Toledo Central started up a few years ago an article that I read noted that the TC was leasing the track from NS. For whatever reason NS has maintained title to this track and probably the rest of the right of way into downtown.

by WNYRailfan

This was posted as a reply to one of my posts from 2005.
jimnorthwood wrote:The short-lived Toledo Central operated on the former CloverLeaf between South Ave and the former interchange near the Toledo Zoo. Actually, sections of the former CloverLeaf are still in place beyond South Avenue. If you follow the Anthony Wayne Trail where it passes beneath Interstate 75 you can see some rail still in place underneath the overpass. One of the bridges on this route where it crosses over the NS Water Level Route was raised about 12 inches a couple of years ago. And I'm pretty sure that none of this route was ever formally abandoned with the ICC or STB. When the Toledo Central started up a few years ago an article that I read noted that the TC was leasing the track from NS. For whatever reason NS has maintained title to this track and probably the rest of the right of way into downtown.