• Defunct Tourist Railroads

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

by Ken W2KB

Yes, you are correct. Thanks. I should have said Station Agent. I was thinking of the name of another film, a European one with the name Stationmaster. My friend highly recommended it, but so far no luck in finding a copy, it may never have been released on VHS or DVD, or in a US format.

by Steam

Add the Wolfeboro Rail Road and the Haverhill & Blackmount in New Hampshire.

We volunteered at the Wolfeboro for a couple of years in the mid 70s. A nice operation but it ran through 12 miles of woods with only one small lake for scenery. Even though they tried connecting with the Winnipesaukee steamboat "Mt. Washington", and Wolfeboro is a summer resort, the railroad still could not make a go of it, and the 2nd owners finally threw in the towel.

by Ron Newman

Was this a different operation from the Winnipesaukee Scenic Railway which operates today?

by Aa3rt

Well, it's taken me quite a while to return to this topic, but from the "Fourth Annual Steam Passenger Service Directory-1969" published by the Empire State Railway Museum, here's a list of steam railways and trolley lines that, to the best of my knowledge, no longer operate. I'm sure others have come and gone in the interim but I'll start this off:

Arizona-White Mountain Scenic, used two 2-8-2's on an old logging railroad

Arkansas-Reader Railroad, very well known, used to run mixed trains

California West Side & Cherry Valley Railway 3 foot gauge logging railroad

Colorado Central Narrow Gauge Railway Central City used an outside frame 2-8-0 from the International Railways of Central America

Delaware Red Clay Valley Railway Equipment & Leasing-ran excursions in the Wilmingtom-Baltimore area using two ex-Canadian Pacific 4-6-2's.

Indiana Railway Museum Westport used an 0-4-0T pulling a former trolley car

Michigan-Keweenaw Central Railway, Cadillac and Lake City Railway

New Jersey-Trolley Valhalla, Morris County Central

New York-Leather Stocking Line, 3 foot gauge in Cooperstown, Livionia, Avon and Lakeville (previously mentioned by Otto), Delaware Otsego

North Carolina-Southern Appalachian Railway (used an ex-BEDT 0-6-0T),
Bear Creek Scenic (used 3-truck Shays on the Graham
County RR)

Oregon-Veronia, South Park & Sunset used a 2-6-2 on a SP&S branchline.

Pennsylvania-Penn View Mountain, Carroll Park & Western (4 foot gauge), Everett Railroad, Valley Forge Scenic, Quakertown & Eastern (used ex-Buffalo Creek & Gauley 2-8-0 #4 on excursions in the Quakertown area).

Vermont-Green Mountain Railroad (the original Steamtown)

Virginia-Dry Gulch & Tombstone (used a 3-truck Shay)

Well, that's it for starters, not mentioned in my list were the Southern Railroad (still running steam excursions at that time), the High Iron Company (ex-NKP 759), the Midwest Railway Historical Foundation (used ex-GTW 4070 on excursions in Ohio and western Pa) and the Clinchfield, that used a 4-6-0 in excursion service.

Additions or corrections are welcome.