• End of passenger service on the (former) T&OC

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by jonmurr

From the timetable shown on excellent Elwood site, it would appear that my little town (New Lexington, Ohio) was served by 4 trains a day in 1945, No~3,9,2 and 4. By the '54 time table, the Charleston to Columbus service appears to have been run in cooperation with C&O, I would guess over the Hocking Valley route.

Some questions:

What literature is available on the T&OC and Ohio division operations?

What was the consist for these trains. I see the timetable shows a lunch counter car. I would guess similar to a Cafe' car?

Final operation dates?

Thank you.

by tocfan

Jon,
According to the best info I have found T&OC passenger service south of Columbus was discontinued in late 1949 or early 1950 which coincides with dieselization of the division. The exception was the 35 mile long Hitop branch out of charleston which had gas-electric or RDC service into the early to mid 60's. There was a segment of that area that was only accessable by rail.
My question is if at any time and of the passenger trains were diesel powered and not steam, and in several years of searching, I have not uncovered any evidence of any diesel powered passenger trains on the T&OC. In the 30's and 40's they were almost exclusively pulled by one of the Pacifics.

Mike Fleming

by jonmurr

Thanks Mike.
I have a contact at the local historical society, so I'm going to try that avenue and see if there was a newspaper account or some snapshots of the end of service.
I see a film advertised called "New York Central Steam, Indiana Division" that claims to have an applicable section to the T&OC. Have you seen this video?

by tocfan

Jon,
I have heard of that video but have not seen it. There may be someone at the NYCSHS that could answer.

Mike