• Number of trains passing through central New York

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Howiew

Does anyone have any maps of the former West Shore in Utica that can be posted? Thank You in advance.

by mbutte

The West Shore through South Utica was taken out of service in either late 1971 or early 1972 as I recall. The line at the end was all 10mph with all grade crossings having to be flagged by the crew.

Somewhere in my archives I have an original copy of the PC Bulletin Order with the exact date of the end of service.

I went to Kemble School through 8th Grade in June of 1972 and well remember the frequent disruption to classes from the loud whistles of the trains switching at the Cutter Coal Company, Phillip Thomas Lumber and occasionally the Utica Water Board.

We lived just off Holland Ave at Pleasant Street and my younger brother (now employed in the Engineering Department of Norfolk Southern) would scream bloody murder at the sound of the whistles only a couple blocks away from our house...

by kinlock

Think the line was 10mph well before the 70's. They had actual flagmen at these crossings at one time (and it was even double tracked). Best sight I ever saw was about 20 white-lined steam locomotives headed for the scrapper. Think they tied up Genesee Street for about 10 minutes.