• Man arrested for stealing rails

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

by red P

Scrap yards are not allowed to accept any railroad material (unless the railroad brings it).
Keep in mind that if you try to sell any railroad scrap they are required by law to call the police
P

by lakeshoredave

Stealing rails? That is freaking crazy.

Signed,
Being The Owner Of A Pawn Shop

by BigWeb

lakeshoredave wrote:Stealing rails? That is freaking crazy.

Signed,
Being The Owner Of A Pawn Shop
You're stealing bits from my show.

Signed,
Jim Rome

by thor88

red P wrote:Scrap yards are not allowed to accept any railroad material (unless the railroad brings it).
Keep in mind that if you try to sell any railroad scrap they are required by law to call the police
P
Baloney! At current scrap prices, they'll take any iron they can get and they don't care where it came from as long as a magnet sticks to it.

A guy I know took some RR stuff to a scrap yard and the guy at the scrap yard recognized the stuff as possibly being stolen so he calls his boss. The boss comes out, looks at it and says (exact quote) "he's got guts enough to bring it in, we can pay him for it."

They can bury a few hundred pounds of stolen stuff in the hundreds of tons or legit scrap they get no problem.

by Patrick

even surrent prices dont mean Jack.. I used to (when I was alot younger (im only 25 :-P)) walk along the tracks after MOW crews came through and pick up old tie plates, spikes and other crap and load the back of my moms 89 mer topaz by the bucketfulls and take it to the scrap yard in my area and get cash for it. noone cared.. metal is metal.. as long as you aint bringing in brand new stuff.. they just dont care.

by lakeshoredave

A few months ago there was an older dude checking out older rails that were no longer used by the railroad and photographing them when CSX was doing its major interlocking and signal changeover at Voorheesville, NY....I tried to talk about CSX and what trains were coming by, etc, and he knew nothing of them....he didn't even know where Selkirk Yard was. Definitely a suspicious sounding dude like the guy who stole the rails in this earlier post.