• Hamersley Iron C628's fact check help

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

by NYC21295

Group,

Hamersley Iron Purchased 5 C628's, a group of 3 and then 2 more. I know that the first 3 were built in Schenectady on Sales Order 21232, and carried Construction Numbers 3415-01 to 03. However, I do not know if the final 2 were built in Schenectady or Australia, as I have read conflicting accounts that state both. I know that they carried Construction numbers 3482-01 and 02, but I do not know the Sales order number. A confirmation either way would be a great help.

Also, I have read that Goodwin was not ready to build the units in Australia, so that is why they were built in Schenectady. Is this true?

Many thanks,

Stephen McMillan

by Allen Hazen

I don't know. My first port of call with this question would be the "Locopage" website of Australian diesel rosters-- I assume you've already looked there.
Only print source I have handy is "Motive Power" by Leon Oberg (Kenthurst NSW: Kangaroo Press, 1995), which is definitely railfan scholarship. For what it's worth, Oberg says (p. 63) "Five were ordered from A E Goodwin, but since delivery was urgent, the first three were actually built as Alco Prodiucts' Schenectady plant and shipped from the United States.... [...] [They] entered service during September and October 1965. At that time, A E Goodwin was coming to terms with the construction of the balance and these finally entered traffic in the latter part of June 1968."

by N. Todd

Not sure of the builder but have sales order as 21286.