• Foreign Power - Deisel Era

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

by Tri-State Tom

Was this ever done/ever happen in E-L days for passenger operations.... either for commuter or long distance trains ?

E-L freights often had/borrowed CNJ units, yes ? Were there ever any units used besides from other roads ?

by krobar

I remember seeing pictures of MilwRd., and BN power at different locations. These were probably used to pay back power time for EL units on those lines. In April 1972 2 D&H RS3s, 4126 & 4128 were on the Bangor and Portland branch for about a week. They came through Nazareth everyday while working the cement turn to Bath. They too might have been paying back time. The CNJ units were part of the power pool that the EL and CNJ had. :-)

by Hoosier Joe

Once I saw a re-engined MP RS11 in east Indiana,plus Milwaukee and N&W power.

NO.

by henry6

Don't remember pool passenger power...at least not on the east end of the DL nor in or out of Binghamton during EL days. L&HR and DL often worked together out of Port Morris usually DL helpers up to AJ. EL saw a lot of GN and BN power, sometimes ATSF, UP and SP-Cotten Belt and even a stray Penn Central once in a while; later there were N&W family units including WAB and NKP. But again, that was all freight. Don't forget the CNJ freight off the High Bridge Branch at Lake Jct. to Scranton and back before CR. Once in a while the E would have a derailment on the Delaware and send the Erie Limited, etc. over the DL.
  by eddiebear

Erie-Lackanna, Delaware & Hudson and Boston & Maine pooled power on piggyback trains PB-99 and PB-100, Chicago to Boston in the late 1960s. The basis was horsepower hours and the usual assignment was EL power 2 days, D & H 1 day and the rest, 3 or 4 days B & M. B & M power was puny, usually GP-9s, sometimes a GP-18. EL units were SD-45s(?), 3600 series, I think. During the week PB-99 was run right at the tail end of the evening rush hour, right behind Boston-Ayer RDC train #629 (5:53pm out of North Station) via Waltham and Concord. He always put on a good show. More than once, I saw PB-99 at Hill Crossing, waiting for #629 to pass.
The schedule was about 5 hr. 15 min. to Boston-Mechanicville; there were already some extensive single track sections. Picked up Worcester and Holyoke trailers at East Deerfield. Dropped milk - that's right 3 milk cars - at HP Hood in Eagle Bridge.
Someone didn't tie down D & H units one time at the old Boston Engine Terminal and they knocked out part of a back wall.
  by henry6

The Pennsy's Bel Del connected at Manunka Chunk at one time sending their trains all the way to Tobyhanna, later Stroudsburg. Steam days, yes. Diesel age, not sure, but know gas car went to S'brg to meet #'s 3 and 6 after no pass service on the Old Road.

by Cactus Jack

On an business train inspection trip in 1966, EL power went up the Utica Branch from Binghamton, then west across the New York Central to Syracuse with two E-8's. The EL engine crew stayed on across the Central, but a NYC engineer ran the train. Hence EL power running on the Water Level Main.

Recall also that BN SD45's came over the EL in early seventies, a number of which later went to NYSW to operate over the Delaware Division of CR about 15 years later.
  by wdburt1

Observed at CB Jct 1970-72:

CB&Q and BN power on various freights, esp. BN74.

Rock Island power, occasionally.

Four-unit sets of B&M GP9s on PB-100 (quite the sound).

Never saw a PC unit so far as I recall.

WDB

by mxdata

As was noted in other postings, units of BN and its predecessor roads were quite common in Marion, Ohio in the early 1970s. In addition, units from Milwaukee Road, Rock Island, SCL, Union Pacific, D&H, N&W and a few others ran on EL trains on the west end of the railroad for various reasons. The Erie Lackawanna had arrangements with several other roads to put new delivery units from GE into service at Marion, due to favorable tax treatment of new locomotives which were put into service in the state of Ohio. This was particularly true of Union Pacific units, which frequently were power for trains west out of Marion all by themselves with no EL units in the lashup. B&LE and DM&IR units also ran on EL trains on a few occasions when they were being shipped "live" between the two railroads.

by Cactus Jack

From May, 1974 to March, 1976 - Penn Central power was on the PC/ EL pool train NE97-74 operating between Cedar Hill Yard in New Haven via Selkirk and Chicago, IL. Interchange was at Utica, NY. EL power went east to at least Selkirk...anyone have details ? Westbound PC power went at least as far as Binghamton...again....anyone with more info ?

Previous to the Poughkeepsie Bridge burning in May, 1974 these trains ran through Maybrook with PC power getting to at least Port Jervis and maybe Binghamton?

As far as DL&W days, the LAckawanna used to have to reach the Diamond Branch via NYO&W, putting DL&W 900 series RS-3's on the O&W.

O&W also ran their Mayfield - Coxton transfers on a routing via DL&W putting O&W F's on Lackawanna Rails.
  by wdburt1

Observed at CB Junction 1970-72--I forgot these in the previous posting:

MILW power at various times, always GP or SD40s as I recall.

A variety of D&H power including U30C on a Carrolton coal train and 3 U23Bs on a manifest freight heading eastbound onto the River Line.

WDB
  by henry6

The burning of the bridge made the ICC to force Penn Central to interchange the EL Maybrook connection at Binghamton via Utica with no milage penalty. Thus PC units via S&U to Binghamton for layover. Don't remember EL units going to Selkirk unless D&H service. Nor PC units going west of Maybrook. Once the bridge buned there was never any more service through Maybrook yard for New England connections.

by Tri-State Tom

" Was this ever done/ever happen in E-L days for passenger operations.... either for commuter or long distance trains ? "

This is all great info fellas on the freight ops but I'm more intrigued by possible occurences when either road, or under the E-L, ever had need to borrow other diesel power to run the crack thru passenger trains OR for any NJ/Cleveland commuter ops.

Thanks again.
  by henry6

What's "a passenger train"?
Seriously, probably not, at least in my memory on the east end of the DL or EL....perhaps Cleveland Service got PL&E sub power, but can't say. And when NJT took over commute operations from CR, who knows what combinations could be found: C&NW F's were on the property!