• NEW Putnam Division book coming soon...

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Otto Vondrak

I usually frown on commerical postings, but I wanted to let everyone know a new book featuring the Put will be available soon...

http://www.nywbry.com/forgotten

-otto-

by Otto Vondrak

My book is at the printers as we speak... but there is a book strictly on the Put that is available right now... my friend Joe Schiavonne just completed this black and white volume called The Old Put. Available from the Yorktown Heights Museum:

http://www.yorktownmuseum.org/shop.htm

-otto-

by NYCFan

Otto,

I just picked up my copy of "The Old Put..." at the Yorktown Museum Store. Joe and Brian did a great job, both in photographic and word pictures, in describing this never-to-be-forgotten division of the New York Central.

Now, as soon as Ron's Books delivers my copy of your book, I'll be all set.

by Otto Vondrak

I'm looking forward to getting a copy of Joe's book! The book I'm working on is currently at the printers... should see them soon!

-otto-

by Otto Vondrak

Forgotten Railroads Through Westchester: Book has been printed, we are now awaiting delivery.

www.nywbry.com/forgotten

-otto-

by NYCFan

My copy of "Forgotten Railroads Through Westchester County" arrived today! What a terrific book loaded with great photos of the Putnam Division, the Getty Square Branch, the Saw Mill River Freight Branch, the New York, Westchester & Boston, the New Haven and more.

As a kid growing up in Yonkers almost right on the Getty Square Branch after its demise, I got the answer to alot of questions I had since the days that I walked to school on the old ROW. And, how better to get the answer to these questions than through a treasury of great photos that I have never seen.

As a big fan of the Putnam Division I'd like to add that this book is the perfect compliment to Joe Schiavone's new book, "The Old Put," as Robert Bang & Co. concentrated more heavily on the southern end of the Put, while Joe Schiavone's book concentrated more heavily on the northern end of the Put. Both books together make an invaluable resource for all fans of the Put.

by NYCFan

Hi Otto,

In the new book there is a picture of the tressel that carries the Yonkers Branch Line over Nepperhan Ave and down Morgan Street. The photo shows the double track main converging into a gauntlet track. The caption says that this was the arrangement because of the narrow width of Morgan Street.

I just wanted to add that originally this elevated section was all double tracked. I have an early picture to support this. It appears to me that the installation of the 3rd rail at the time of electrification created the problem. The structure wasn't wide enough to support two tracks with third rails and the gauntlet arrangement was opted for because it allowed for smoother operation without the need for switches.
  by Tom Curtin

Are you (or somebody) going to be selling these at the NHRHTA train show at North Haven next month? I hope so!

by Otto Vondrak

Hi Skip- Thanks for the info on the gauntlet arrangement- I don't doubt you, there was probably not enough room for two tracks and third rail and everything else the NYC wanted to intall!

Tom- If Ron's Books will be there, he will most likely have the book for sale. If you can't find one, I plan on being at Reunion, and I'll keep a couple in the car.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

-otto-

by South Ferry

According to Ron's Books online,
Robert A. Bang -AND- Joe Schiavone will be signing copies
of the new "Put" and "Westchester" books at the Greenwich Train Show
*SUNDAY Nov 25 at Greenwich Civic Center in Connecticut*....

(all this according to the wording on Ron's website)... :-D :-D

(It is not specified if there is an additional charge for the signing or if the book must be purchased on-site to be signed)
  by Tom Curtin

I have recently acquired both of those new Put books (Forgotten Railroads through Westchester and The Old Put) and I have to give both very high marks. There appears to be above average interest on this forum in the Putnam Division, and these books will satisfy a lot of it. You will find everything --- or just about everything --- you would want to know about:
- The Getty Square Branch
- the "Tarrytown Loop" route through Pocantico Hills --- exactly where it went, as well as the precise location of the spectacular but short-lived old wood viaduct across the valley which the Tarrytown loop replaced.
- The Saw Mill River industrial track in Yonkers.
- Who a lot of the local freight customers were.