• Railroad Bridge Safety

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by GOLDEN-ARM

Even more facinating, after reading it the second time........ :P

by Quelin

e.sillery wrote:There is a wooden rail bridge in Tuscaloosa, AL that was completed in 1898 and is used every day by a shortline. It is about 1/2 to 3/4 miles long. It crosses the Black Warrior River and has an "S" curve in it (it was not built as a straight bridge). The trackage is leased from KCS and the bridge has more splices than I can count. There is a 10 mph restriction on it.

About 200ft. of walkway caught on fire a couple of months ago and that put the walkway out of service for a while. Even after it was replaced there is not a walkway that crosses the entire bridge. There is no walkway over the river section.

The contractor that is constantly repairing/replacing parts told me "There is no way in Hell I would ride a train across that thing."

This bridge is being maintained by a penny pinching shortline so the maintenance done is only what absolutely has to be done.

There is a small subdivision in the BNSF time table that has several bridges with speed and weight restrictions. I would not be wanting to ride on those.

Even the metal ones out here give me the willys

by Robert Paniagua

Also, don't count out the Haverhill Line Bridge in MA (north of Boston) that crosses the Merrimack River which MBCR, Guilford (ex B & M) freights and even Amtrak's DE Service use which now has a 10km/h (5 MPH) restriction down from 20 kn/h (10 MPH) citing poor structural support, although the MBTA is trying to get that bridge repaired for faster speeds of prehaps 55 mph which used to be the top speed back when B & M was providing passenger service to Maine.