Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPKCR.com. Includes Kansas City Southern. There is also a KCS sub-forum for prior operations: kansas-city-southern-and-affiliates-f153.html

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

by scharnhorst

Dose anyone know howmany 40 foot Bocars are still in active service on Canadian Pacific?? I have heard storys of them still being used here and there is there any truth to this??

by SooLineRob

Scharnhorst,

If 40 footers are still "on the payroll", they're not being used in revenue service in the U.S. anyway. I recall seeing SOO/MILW 40'ers in "company material" service about 3+ years ago, but not recently. I recall some Canadian branch lines that weren't 286,000 gross railcar weight compliant were home to a dedicated "fleet" of 40' boxes, but that was a few years ago. I'll do a little research when time permits and reply.

SLR.

by umtrr-author

The Official Railway Equipment Register for January 2006 - the newest one I have - shows eight boxcars with a 40 foot 6 inch inside length numbered from 50020 to 59505.

Those were the only ones I saw taking a very quick look through the listing.

Since that ORER is now almost 18 months old it's entirely possible that these cars are also gone.

by Will_S

I might have seen a picture recently of a 40' box being used as on idler on an ammonia train. It is conceivable that it was actually a 50', given the angle, and I doubt I could locate the picture again.

by W.E.Coyote

There's a few in service as icicle-breaker cars with roof mountings.