• Track Relocation Oneida, NY

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Cactus Jack

anyone have the date that the tracks were moved out of Oneida onto the line relocation ?

How about the big wreck in downtown Onieda were a box car door fell off and was struck by a passing train ... sometime in 1946 ?

by O-6-O

Being from Oneida I remember as a kid the trucks going by our house on Main St hauling fill and other material to the Northside track relocation
project. My mother used to complain that this seemingly never ending
parade of trucks would never end. The exact date I don't remember but
it was in the mid 60's. Around 60-61 there was a freight wreck right in
downtown Oneida that my dad took me to(I was 6 at the time). Can't help
you with the 46 wreck but I'm sure that one, 60-61 one and the fire engine getting struck (2 dead) was the impetus to move the tracks out
of town. After the main was moved the Central built a spur into downtown
which came off the new main at CP-266 (site of the recent nasty derailment in March) which served a few local customers and the old
O&W connecter off of Lake St. Those were the days.
  by ChiefTroll

The Oneida line relocation was placed in service either in or just before July 1965. I was in Oneida in early August, working on a CWR job just east of the new track. Several of the machine operators for that job had just finished the track work on the relocation which was in service then.

Gordon Davids

by Railman1981

Not too long ago, I remeber reading 1965. I think there was track in place downtown until all were torn up in 1981