• Why no nose bells on GP38-2s and SD50s?

• Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.
Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.

Moderator: Komachi

by USRailFan

All SD40-2s, GP15-1s and GP50s purchased new by C&NW had nose-mounted bells. Same seems to have been the case with older EMD power such as SD45s and GP35s. But the GP38-2s and SD50s did not have them, even tho they were delivered in the time period where they should have... I guess the lack of nose bells on the GP38-2s can be explained by the fact that this originally was another railway's order (Rock Island), that C&NW took over, and I guess didn't have time/didn't bother changing the specs. But why didn't the SD50s get nose-mounted bells, when the contemporary GP50s did? Were these too originally another railway's order, and if so whose?
  by scharnhorst

USRailFan wrote:All SD40-2s, GP15-1s and GP50s purchased new by C&NW had nose-mounted bells. Same seems to have been the case with older EMD power such as SD45s and GP35s. But the GP38-2s and SD50s did not have them, even tho they were delivered in the time period where they should have... I guess the lack of nose bells on the GP38-2s can be explained by the fact that this originally was another railway's order (Rock Island), that C&NW took over, and I guess didn't have time/didn't bother changing the specs. But why didn't the SD50s get nose-mounted bells, when the contemporary GP50s did? Were these too originally another railway's order, and if so whose?
I'm no expert on the C&NW but At the time when Conrail was being formed many 2ed hand Locomotives were sold to the the C&NW such as GP38's, GP40's, SD40's, SD45's, and a large handfull of ALCO units. I would suspect that Rock Island units would have been devided among the roads that ate her up in the mid 80's? Some of these units could also have come from the MILW to as they went belly up around the same time as the ROCK did and ran in the same states side by side with the ROCK and C&NW.

on occation althow rare I have seen former C&NW units in New York wih the Gong style bells on them althow tese units are in UP Paint the bell is a dead give away!
  by DufordModelWorks

You are on the right path. The GP38-2's were a Rock Island order that was cancelled due to financing issues, the SD50's were cancelled Mopac units already under construction at the time of the UP/Mopac merger, and the SD60's were under a similar situation from a cancelled Soo Line (?) order.

by uhaul

Correct, the SD60s came from a canceled Soo Line order and thus, had winterization hatches upon delivery.
  by amtrakhogger

The CNW did buy a large number of SD45's from Conrail.
  by DufordModelWorks

amtrakhogger wrote:The CNW did buy a large number of SD45's from Conrail.
That would be correct, plus they also obtained a large amount of former BN SD45's also (to go along with the Conrail units) as part of a possible SD45 rebuilding project, but it was deemed cost ineffective, plus they got a good deal on the cancelled Mopac and Soo orders of SD50's and SD60's, which meant the demise of the SD45 fleet gradually as they were used as fodder for scrap or trade in.

However, none of the SD45's here in question were built new for CNW so they lacked nose bells. (although the rebuilt SD45's 6500 and 6564 recieved nosebells as part of their rebuildings.... if I recall correctly) (the 900 series non dynamic CNW SD45's all had nosebells)

As a sidenote...the 800 series SD40's that had no nosebell...check closely...they actually had a gong bell mounted in the standard bell location.

by cnw6922

uhaul wrote:Correct, the SD60s came from a canceled Soo Line order and thus, had winterization hatches upon delivery.
And don't forget the Soo Line specific stainless steel kick plates on the cab steps.

by Tadman

Also worth noting - CNW had the only (2) SD45's with no dynamics, meaning the big radiator flares stood alone.

by cnw6922

Tadman wrote:Also worth noting - CNW had the only (2) SD45's with no dynamics, meaning the big radiator flares stood alone.
Umm, there where 61 CNW SD45's without dynamic brakes. 901-920 and 937-977. There where also 107 second hand bought SD45's that where equiped with dynamics (they may or may not have been working, though).

Here is a good index to review http://utahrails.net/cnw/cnw-number-index.php