• The fabulous T-1

• Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.
Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.

Moderator: Franklin Gowen

by guest

Just testing.
  by RDG484

That's just what is is, a fabulous locomotive. Too bad none are running right now.

by Ken W2KB

Isn't there one in operating condition for sale? In Canada? Maybe someone will purchase it for operation?

by Lehigh Valley Railroad

Hope to see one on the road again :D

by Trackbolt

What ever happened to Ross Rowland and his T-1 2101 or was it 2102. See what happens when you get old, you start forgetting the important stuff. I car hosted on an excursion behind that locomotive back in the 70's.

Trackbolt :wink:

by metman499

2102 was bought by the Blue Mountain and Reading, now Reading and Northern. It did see both passenger and freight service. It hasn't been operational for a few years now. No expected date for a return to service. Nick
  by jrevans

Trackbolt wrote:What ever happened to Ross Rowland and his T-1 2101 or was it 2102. See what happens when you get old, you start forgetting the important stuff. I car hosted on an excursion behind that locomotive back in the 70's.

As metman said, the 2102 was bought by the Blue Mountain & Reading railroad back in 1985 and ran in Eastern PA until the early 1990s. It's now out of service, in storage on the Reading & Northern at Port Clinton, PA. I took some pictures of it when they rolled it out last year for the open house / 20th anniversary celebration. Some pictures of it are here on my webpage .

As for Ross's 2101 that was used on the Chessie Steam Special, it was less fortunate. In Feburary of 1979, while in storage at a Chessie System roundhouse in Silver Grove, KY, the building caught fire and burned down, supposedly causing great damage to the 2101. Because Mr. Rowland was running the Chessie Steam Specials, the railroad traded him the (much better shape) C&O 614 for the 2101. The 614 was then quickly restored to service in order to run the Chessie Safety Express trains. The 2101 was repainted in it's American Freedom Train colors and placed on display at the B&O museum in Baltimore, MD as AFT #1.

The 614 is also currently out of service and in storage on the R&N at Port Clinton, PA. It too can be seen in the pictures on my webpage.

The reason I said "supposedly" above, is that there are rumors that the 2101 wasn't really damaged as bad was said. I don't know the details, but it's a good rumor and Mr. Rowland got a nicer locomotive. :-) Here's a picture of it right after the fire.

by Trackbolt

Thanks, It was the 2101 then because it was in 1978 during a Chessie Steam Special from Baltimore MD to Martinsburg WV excursion.