• "Flight of the M-497" now available as PDF

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by hankmorris

It would have been totally impossible to have completed this project without the complete and full cooperation of Don Wetzel.
I'm proud to say that Don and I have become fast friends.
Don had all the photos, etc. If he hadn't elected to assist me, I wouldn't have had enough material for a short article.
If there was a Don Wetzel Fan Club, I would be a charter member.

by tocfan

Hank or Don, I am working on a kitbash of a proto 2000 RDC3 to model the M-497. A couple questions I have concerning the paint job on it. What color(s) were used on the striping? From the web book it like multiple colors may have been used. Do you have a more detailed drawing of the striping that I could obtain to be able to model the striping properly. I am also working in regearing it to run a scale 200 MPH! It will make a great conversation piece at shows.

Mike Fleming

by hankmorris

Don has a model. He sent me a color photo of it. However, he didn't identify the colors.
Contact me off-list and I'll e-mail a copy to you. [email protected]

If you look at several of the b/w photos, you can work out the pattern of the painting.
Since this was built at Collingwood, and considering that it was NYC, they didn't have a rainbow of color choices. I'm confident they used paint they had on hand. This should help pin down your choices.
Naturally, if anyone has the correct colors, I'd like to know, too.
Hank