• CNW yard in South Chicago

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

by dhaugh

I saw something that said that CNW had an isolated yard in South Chicago called Ironwood, I believe. Does UP still have this yard, or has it disappeared either through abandonment or was it absorbed by other carriers?

by CSX ENG

I'm quite sure the Chicago Rail Link uses it now....

by dhaugh

Thanks, I think it might have been called Irondale in CNW's days, actually.

by Tadman

Are you sure you read this as Irondale or Ironwood? If we are really thinking of Irondale, that's REALLY FAR from anything C&NW. I know BRC and IHB have a presence there, as does NKP and PRR (and their successors, NS). CRL operates nearby, but I have no knowledge of CNW coming anywhere closeby. The nearest C&NW is likely Global I. Can you give me the approximate street location?

by CSX ENG

CNW's Irondale Yard is located at 117th & Torrence in Chicago. The yard is accessed from a little-known line known as the Calumet Western, which was built by the Pennsylvania RR in 1901 but was jointly owned by the PRR, IHB and the CRI&P. At one time the CNW owned a minority interest in the IHB, which was also owned by the NYC and MILW. Being an owner of the IHB, I would guess that is how they (CNW) pulled/delivered cars to this small yard and related industries, either by haulage rights to the IHB or by running the train themselves over the IHB.

The yard is still there but operated by the CRL-----they may have about 7-8 tracks. Somewhere in my collection I have photos of the yard office, complete with CNW herald on the building along with a GP7 or 9 parked out front. On a related issue, there is another railroad line that is parallel to the Calumet Western and connects to it----this line is known as the Calumet River Branch. Not sure if this line is jointly owned or completely owned by the PRR, but it does come off the PRR mainline at 95th street and connects back to the CW around 121 street. Hope this info sheds new light on this topic......