• Fireworks

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by Ken V

With the 4th of July just around the corner, I was wondering how those who work in the cab of a locomotive felt about fireworks displays occurring nearby the right of way. This would apply to either the large displays put on by towns and cities and the typical backyard (burning schoolhouse) type. Do you like to watch them, are they a distraction from the job, or could you not care less? Do you slow down/stop and look, or just keep on rolling?

I've been curious about this for a few years, and thought I'd ask today since we just finished our Canada Day celebrations, complete with all sorts of pyrotechnics within easy view of the passing trains:
"Why didn't you dim your lights?"
"Sorry, there were some fireworks going off to the north. Didn't see you coming"

If I were to do my own backyard fireworks, (my weekend property is about 30 feet from a CPR mainline) should I hold back while any trains are approaching or give the crew a show?

by Hawko

We saw a couple of shows on Saturday night going from Northtown (Minneapolis, MN) to La Crosse, WI. I personally like seeing the fireworks and don't think they are that much of a distraction. No different than seeing wildlife or a really nice car/motorcycle.

Fireworks 30 feet from the right of the way may be a little too close, depending on type they are.

by 10more years

When we're on a train, believe it or not, most of us are at work.

And we're not going to stop a train in order to watch local fireworks. It's hard enough to get over the road without stopping to watch fireworks. (I can hear the exchange with the dispatcher now: "csx dispatcher to train so & so, are you still moving?", train so & so answers " No, we're stopped down here at _____ behind Joe's house to watch the fireworks.") Obviously, if we see some we're going to watch what we can.

Just don't shoot them at the train.

Matter of fact, I used to work a couple of local freights that used to "spot up" behind the local drive-in movie to watch the movie while we were waiting for a train meet.

by route_rock

Thursday night we had a car cross over a small wooden bridge on the Mendota sub turn left onto a road that runs alongside our main. They started honking flashing their lights and waving. So we think ok whats this about. Next thing you know up goes a bottle rocket. One of them little makes about as much noise as a flea farting type. Okkkkkkkkkk we say while the people in the car are laughing so hard they cant see straight.

We came back nest day in the afternoon down the Racetrack. Pretty girls all over the place at every platform. And over by Somanuk there was a road crew with a really cute flagger girl that waved. Ahh yes better than fireworks, plus the view lasts longer.

But all in all when rifing along and seeing the shows from one town to the next it is real cool. Also during thunderstorms the lightning ( as long as I am not out on the ground) is neat to see as well..