• ANY ADVICE ON SPOTS AROUND KC??

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

by Amtrak700

just wondering if anyone can sugest some good spots to get some fast main line action near KC?? i will be there next months for 4 days, and plan to do a bit of train watching. any advice would be great. thanks!!!

by Tadman

I always drop by KCUS when I'm in town, you can't go wrong there - frequent trains, and the house track usually has some museum equipment or neato old stuff parked there. Across the tracks is Jack Stack BBQ with a pretty good view, especially from the patio. There's also the Midland Railroad Society about an hour out of town, with a NYC RS3 and two Rock Island E-units including 630, one of the few E6's remaining. Also, the river front behind the "river market" neighborhood has very busy BNSF and UP tracks. send a PM to john perkowski too - he can suggest a lot.

by t.winks

Well, if you haven't gone yet, check out the joint NS/BNSF track east of KC between Carrollton MO and WB junction. Definetely my favorite area to railfan! SO much speed and variety! And with the extra UP trains that now run through there, there might be close to 100 trains per day (I'll get a 24 hour count in August to see for myself)! When I was there last year, I spent the night in my car in Norborne and caught 76 trains in 24 hours on a Monday. Wow, I can't wait to be there on a Friday and Saturday! I hope you see this before you go, because if speed is what you want, then check this area out!

by lakeshoredave

Santa Fe Jct alledegy is a really good spot in KC. I've also heard people just heading out east of town towards Henrietta on the BNSF/NS joint mainline. BNSF runs alot of trains and NS throughs in some variety to add to the large quantity of trains that BNSF can pump through there.

Lakeshore Dave