• Dream a Little Dream: First Amtrak equipment dispersal

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by NJTRailfan

If back in the 1970s/80s you had unlimited amount of cash as Amtrak was selling their pre owned domes,obs,diners,sleepers,etc along with E-8s and FL-9s, what equipment would you buy and how many along with what would you do with it? It could range from running it and having it stored at a rail museum or turn a diner into a resteraunt.

With me I'd buy a pair of E-8s from Amtrak and paint them into the Lackawanna paint job, a smoothside diner and have it painted into the Lackawanna or NYC paint job while the two sleepers I'd also purchase also smooth sided would have the NYC or PRR paint job. But the Smooth sided obs would be painted either into the Tavern Lounge paint job or into one of the creek cars like what the NYC had. I would love to purchase domes but sadly you cannot fit them onto too mny lines due to overhead clearance otherwise I'd buy some ex California Zephyer dome obs cars.

Plus being in the dome air conditioned or not is the worst enemy during hot summer months

Moderator's Note: Thread title edited.

by wigwagfan

I think Ozark Mountain Railcar has a pair of E-8s currently for sale, along with an assortment of cars for which you could probably get your dream consist together.

Judging from their website right now, they have three different E-units for sale, as well as four F-units.

For your dream of the two E-units and four cars, you could probably acquire the rolling stock for less than $1 million. But refurbing the cars to your specs would probably cost a bit more.

As for my dream, I have a few ideas - but probably to purchase one or two cars and run them on the Coast Starlight once a week between Portland and either the Bay Area or down to L.A.

by John_Perkowski

Dream a little Dream...

Since UP sold all their Astra-Domes to Auto-Train, I'd start with an SP 3600 series rebuilt dome.

Dining Car: UP 4800 series. They sold the fleet to Amtrak.

Sleeping Car: ATSF Regal series 4-4-2. Take one of the drawing rooms and install a double bed. Convert at least two of the BR into walk-in closets. Rebuild a compartment or a bedroom into a bath.

Put 'em on a set-back siding, hook up commercial power, water and sewer, and have a wonderful home.

Oh, yes: Tree-line the western exposure and build a trainshed along the eastern exposure. Get some of the sun off the roofs!!!

Like I said, Dream a Little Dream

by Murjax

Hmm, if I were able to buy some cars, I would get anything they had and convert them to passenger coach cars and start a commuter railroad with them. That way I make some money off the cars. :)

by John_Perkowski

Moderator's Note:

Moved to Mr Grossman's General Discussion: Locomotives, Rolling Stock, and Equipment Forum.

by Earle Baldwin

Following Amtrak's retirement of its GG1's in the early 80's, I received a call from a friend one evening, informing me the locomotives were available for sale for $5000 each in as is (was) condition. If I recall correctly, the price included delivery from Wilmington where they were stored. Having just graduated from school and entered the workforce, none of our immediate circle was flush with cash and my friend suggested we solicit interest from others in our group about acquiring one.

Considering the fact the price was not much more than that associated with some of Lionel's GG1 variants at the time, we did think about it. Plus, one was getting a whole lot more locomotive for the money. Thankfully we came to our senses when we started to think about where we would keep it, contaminant removal and the logisitics and costs involved in general care of the beast. Nonetheless, it was fun considering the possibility for a few days.