• When's the next MSTS coming out?

• General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...
General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...

Moderators: LIRRMEDFORD, 8th Notch

by L'mont

What is the next Train Sim to come out? Has Microsoft indicated that they will release a new version any time soon? The seem to release Flight Sim every couple of years.

by Wisconsin Railfan

Microsoft has decided that they will NOT be releasing another Train Sim, However the folks over at KUJU (the makers of the original Microsoft train simulator) are working on the next "generation of train sims," check out their site for more information and updates http://www.railsimulator.com/en/index.htm

There is also Auran Trainz 2006, but IMHO it's not any good, while the graphics look ok, it's very buggy.

The original MSTS is still alive and kickin' with the new BIN update, new routes, textures, and other enhancements found over at train-sim.com, it's still the best around, and probably will be for years to come.

by L'mont

Thats too bad about Microsoft. Why not produce more, did it not sell well enough?

by RearOfSignal

I also could never figure why Microsoft did not pickup MSTS for another version. Probably since the add-ons from other vendors were of such better quality and much more realistic since they were made by people with a passion for railroading, Microsoft figured they didn't want to spend the money or the resources for adding new features if someone else would. They figured that the money could be spent better somewhere else. The original MSTS routes and rolling stock are pretty bad compared to some of the things out there now. I can't even remember the last time I played a default MSTS route!

by Wisconsin Railfan

"The original MSTS routes and rolling stock are pretty bad compared to some of the things out there now. I can't even remember the last time I played a default MSTS route!"

Just head over to www.train-sim.com and check out the forums and the file library for the newest routes and rolling stock, also some of the 3rd party add-ons, I just ordered the sound upgrade from 3d perfections, and that added another dimension to the experience, if I hear the default sounds, I just cringe., its hard to believe that MSTS is over 6 years old, and is still strongly supported but the train-sim community, and still IMHO the best sim out there currently.

by SubaruWRX

Wisconsin Railfan wrote:"The original MSTS routes and rolling stock are pretty bad compared to some of the things out there now. I can't even remember the last time I played a default MSTS route!"

Just head over to www.train-sim.com and check out the forums and the file library for the newest routes and rolling stock, also some of the 3rd party add-ons, I just ordered the sound upgrade from 3d perfections, and that added another dimension to the experience, if I hear the default sounds, I just cringe., its hard to believe that MSTS is over 6 years old, and is still strongly supported but the train-sim community, and still IMHO the best sim out there currently.
Yeah the default sounds were pretty bad... I will never forget the sound of the HHP-8 first thing out of my mouth was "What the heck??"

by taoyue

After the new Train Sim was announced, the program's Development Lead blogged about the reason for the cancellation back in 2003:

From http://tsengineer.spaces.live.com/blog/ ... !146.entry:
As we strived to bring back the Train Sim franchise, we looked back to understand what caused us to let down TS in the first place. One factor, though not the only one, was that the Aces studio found itself in a position of having to maintain three separate sets of code-- Flight Sim, Train Sim, and Combat Flight Sim. There was little to no sharing of the code between these three products, and that turned out to be a big problem for us.

... So we made the painful decision to let go of two (CFS and TS) so that we could focus 100% of our attention on making the remaining one (Flight Sim) as magnificient as possible.
Note that there hasn't been a release of Combat Flight Simulator since 2002 either.

As for sound recording, see the "behind the scenes" photos at the Game Designer's blog: http://yardlimits.spaces.live.com/photos/

by SubaruWRX

Why is it when you go to the MS train sim site you see this?

http://www.microsoft.com/games/trainsimulator/

and it's not like it seems outdated...

by taoyue

You must be four months late to the news then. As you posted with surprise on other threads, namely the one with "new Train Sim" in the title.

Notice that this thread began before January 19, 2007 when the news was announced.