• CB&Q Electrification

• Discussion relating to the Burlington Northern and its predecessors Great Northern, Northern Pacific, Chicago Burlington & Quincy, Seattle Portland & Seattle, St. Louis - San Francisco, and their subsidiaries. Visit the Friends of the Burlington Northern for more information.
Discussion relating to the Burlington Northern and its predecessors Great Northern, Northern Pacific, Chicago Burlington & Quincy, Seattle Portland & Seattle, St. Louis - San Francisco, and their subsidiaries. Visit the Friends of the Burlington Northern for more information.
  by Tadman

Was electrification ever studied for CB&Q's CUS-Aurora main? I know the big electrifcation craze was going on when the road triple-tracked in 1922, and built CUS in 1925 and IC started to electrify a few years later on their terminal operations. It seems a logical progression both then and today for Metra's busiest line, and also a nice way of not having to wye every scoot that goes downtown. Going past Aurora now, I can't even see where trains were wyed.

by Engineer Spike

1. I don't know if they studied electrification.
2. C&NW and Milwaukee had "scoots", The Q has "dinkies."
3. They are not turned. There is a cab control car on the east end.
4. In steam days, ther were turntables for the engines.

by Tadman

Makes sense about turning just the engine.

As for scoots, I stand corrected - however, since the legacy roads haven't been a factor since around 1980, and there was also a Plug (GM&O), Dummy (PRR), and Suburban (IC, as opposed to "commuter") I just call them all scoots except for the electric lines.

by Hawko

In Chicago, BNSF crews still call commuter trains dinkys or suburbans.

by route_rock

If its close to 7 am and I am coming up the Mendota sub I call them Nap time lol

Dinkies, road blocks Nap time,pains in the rear. many names for them depending on the direction your trying to get your train to.

by Engineer Spike

Rock,
I have spent many hrs. napping at Montgomery, Aurora, or W. Eola waiting for dinkies. I worked the dinkies '97-'98.