• "Pittsburgh and Eastern"?

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by salminkarkku

This little NYC Pennsylvania coal line ran from Hooverhurst to Arcadia. With a name like that, it must have had greater things in mind. Someone mentioned to me that it was aiming at Greenville, and someone else suggested an interchange with the proposed "Buffalo & Susquehanna" extension at South Bend north-west of Indiana. Can anyone say for certain?

by Beech Cricker

Some years ago I reviewed the entire Board of Directors minutes book for this road. The minutes contain great detail of its various surveys from Mahaffey west to the Pittsburgh area. Off the top of my head I know they surveyed as far west as McKeesport, a connection with the URR at Bessemer Yard and probably a little beyond. I know there was no mention of Greenville and certainly not South Bend. The P&E later became a joint PRR/NYC property for a brief time before NYC took over and merged it into its Beech Creek Extension RR Co. subsidiary. Despite all this surveying activity, the only portions of the P&E actually built was Mahaffey-Dowler Jct.-Arcadia and Dowler Jct. to Cherry Tree. The Mahaffey-Dowler Jct.-Cherry Tree line is still active, operated by R. J. Corman Pennsylvania Lines.

Jeff

by umtrr-author

Is this related at all to the line that the NYC tried to build in retaliation for the Pennsylvania's involved in the West Shore, many decades ago?

by Beech Cricker

umtrr-author wrote:Is this related at all to the line that the NYC tried to build in retaliation for the Pennsylvania's involved in the West Shore, many decades ago?
No...the line that the Vanderbilts started to construct across Pennsylvania, roughly parallel to the PRR mainline, was the South Pennsylvania Railroad, or "South Penn" for short.

Jeff

by rnetzlof

Beech Cricker wrote:Some years ago I reviewed the entire Board of Directors minutes book for this road. ...there was no mention of Greenville and certainly not South Bend.

Jeff
There was an article in the DuBois newspaper, quoting a 100-year old article, which in turn was quoting a Pittsburgh paper:

WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 7, 1906

THE NEW B & S RAILROAD AT SOUTH BEND

Bids for the construction of proposed large yards to be build near
South Bend, PA by the Buffalo and Susquehanna Railroad Company, says
the Pittsburgh Post, will be asked in a few weeks.

Plans have been completed and the company is anxious to complete the
extension from Sagamore to near South Bend, where connections are to be
made with the Pittsburgh and Northeastern. <--- NOTE

Officials are considering two plans for the extension of the line. One
is to enter Pittsburgh on the proposed Pittsburgh and Northeastern,
while another calls for connecting link from South Bend to Unity
Station, where connection can be made with the Bessemer and Lake Erie.
The yard will be the largest in the district.

**end quoted material **

Pittsburgh and Northeastern, not Pittsburgh and Eastern. Don't know what ever became of the P&NE.

Bob Netzlof