• Mobile Radio for RR Monitoring

• Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.
Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.

Moderator: Aa3rt

by CleanCab_108

Guys,

I am wonder want type of mobile radios you are using for your RR monitoring at home. I am currently using a Motorola GM300 and it just is not cutting it. I have seen alot about the Icom IC-2100 and IC-V8000, anyone use either of these? How about the predecessor of the Icom 2100, which is the Icom IC-2200H. Does this radio have the same excellent sensitivity on the RR Channels. I have plenty of scanners and do not get what I want out of these either. Looking for your guys suggestions. Thank you in advance.

Cleancab_108
Last edited by CleanCab_108 on Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Conrail4evr

I'd avoid Icom if I were you...they seem to be hit and miss (some work great, others are absolutely atrocious). Not worth it in my eyes, but do as you please...

Personally, I use a Kenwood TK-760G in my car and a Motorola GP68 when I'm away from my car, though I'm looking into eventually replacing the GP68 with an MTS2000. The TK-760G works well for me, picking up a 25-30 mile radius.

A GM300 should work quite well for you - what kind of antenna are you using? Using an Icom instead of your current Motorola would make very little difference in my opinion, although a better antenna might do the trick. Location is also a big issue...

by CleanCab_108

Conrail4evr,

I am using the Traintenna vertical mount with 25 foot of RG-213 Cable between the antenna and the radio. My antenna and feedline are perfect, I just figure I could do better with a better radio. I was going to try a Motorola Astro Spectra, and see where I get with that but I am not sure. I have seen a lot of post about the ICOM Rigs having great sensitivity on the RR Bands so I figure I would ask about them. I will look into the Kenwood as well. Any other suggestions, let me know.

CleanCab_108
Last edited by CleanCab_108 on Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by clearblock

All the Icom ham radios I have worked on have some roll-off in sensitivity on the RR frequencies vs the published ham band spec.

Your GM-300 should be as good as anything else on the market. If your receive performance is poor I would suspect a problem with that particular radio.

The GM-300 has a programmable per channel receive attenuator for use in high signal areas. If that is programmed for "Local" instead of "DX" the receiver sensitivity will be pretty bad. Have you had the GM300 checked to make sure it is properly programmed and working to spec?

If I was looking for a new radio, the Kenwood TK series are very good. I have had a TK-760G in my truck for several years that works very well.

by hailster

I use a Icom IC-207h. It's a dual band ham radio rig. It'd be overkill just for scanning but if you have a ham license and you are looking for a 2m and 70cm radio then it may be a good option for you. Icom no longer makes this unit so the only option is to buy one used or to get the newer model, the IC-208h. However I can't speak for the 208h.

Other than that I just use my HT which is a IC-t90a. I do NOT recommend this radio to scan the rail frequencies. I can barely pick up half of the railroad talk that is about 10 miles away. Plus it has that blasted SMA antenna connector which is pretty fragile.

One final thing that Conrail4ever brought up is the antenna. If you have a crappy antenna on a really high end radio that radio will be a piece of junk. The antenna can make or break the radio. So make sure you are running a decent antenna.

I'll try to get a couple of old friends of mine on the radio and see how their radio's work for scanning RR freq. Give me a few days and I'll try to come back with the results.

by CleanCab_108

I have a M1225 on the way. It came highly recommened from a fews guys on the railscan board. I have the vertical traintenna with 25 foot of 1/2 inch hardline between the radio and the antenna. I will give my report when in operation.
CleanCab_108
Last edited by CleanCab_108 on Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by hailster

fdnybuff18 wrote:I have a M1225 on the way. It came highly recommened from a fews guys on the railscan board. I have the vertical traintenna with 25 foot of 1/2 inch hardline between the radio and the antenna. I will give my report when in operation.

fdnybuff18
NICE choice on the hardline! May be a little overkill but there is probably close to no loss in that feedline setup.

What type of antenna are you running? 1/4 wave, 5/8 wave, etc?