• Garfield (the movie)

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

by WNYRailfan

I recently watched the Garfield movie with Bill Murray as the voice of Garfield. Towards the end of the movie the plot involves a villan and the "good guys" walking around the concourse and baggage area of a train station.

From what I have seen in the movie, it appears to be the station in Los Angeles, CA?

Is this correct? Since I rented the movie...I didn't get a chance to look at the credits. It appears that the station itself is in good shape. If it is LA...it is over 60 years old.

by efin98

Isn't the movie set in and or around Los Angelas or San Fransisco? I could have sworn it was that area from the previews for the movie...If it's either of those places or even anywhere in California I would think that Union Station would have to be the place.

Thanks for the teaser, I just got that movie and will be looking out for that. :-D

by efin98

It's definately Los Angelas, Metro Link trains are shown in a few quick shots during the scene where Garfield is trying to stop the "New Amsterdam Limited"...

And man, that whole scene was worth viewing by railfans. Shots of the interior of the terminal, shots of trains coming into and out of the station, and great shots of the locomotives pulling the Amtrak trains.

Well worth a look if anybody wants a cheap laugh.
  by TheGortex

I believe that it was set in Detroit, Michigan.

by pennsy

Hi All,

If you can make out Metrolink trains, it definitely would be Los Angeles. If you can also make out those magnificent chandeliers and upholstered seats in the waiting rooms you can confirm that. Los Angeles Union Station, also called LATC, Los Angeles Transit Center, was opened in 1939 and to this day is one of the classic RR stations. It opened as Los Angeles Union Passenger Terminal, LAUPT. It supports Amtrak, Metrolink, The Red Line (subway) and the Gold Line (LRV). It also supports many bus lines. Recently Northern # 3751 (4-8-4) ex-Santa Fe was there on display for about one week. Got a chance to visit the old girl. You cannot believe how loud her whistle is. The engineman, Warren, did his best to chime and quill the whistle. The schoolkids loved it.