• Marklin conversion?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by acelaman

I have a Marklin Amtrak locomotive that has been a display piece for awhile. It is the X995 with the pick-up shoe located between the wheels on the front truck. Is it at all possible to convert this loco to the standard US 2 rail? Maybe swapping an Atlas AEM 7 chassis?
  by cklx

Hi Acelaman,
acelaman wrote:I have a Marklin Amtrak locomotive that has been a display piece for awhile. It is the X995 with the pick-up shoe located between the wheels on the front truck. Is it at all possible to convert this loco to the standard US 2 rail? Maybe swapping an Atlas AEM 7 chassis?
The best way to get a 2 rail engine is have it rebuilt by some technician.
In Europe some shops offer this service (try Google - or Marklin USA). Two of the four wheels have to be replaced with isolated wheels and the motor should get a new permanent magnet. The price for such a rebuild depends on the price of parts and labour. Usually in the 50-100$ range (but remenber: in Europe the average model engine is about twice as expensive as in the US).

Cornelius Koelewijn - Netherlands
  by acelaman

Thanks Cornelius, just what I was looking for.