• Help identify this Alco

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

by Alcoman

Someone showed me picture on the web of a Alco S-2 # 201 at the Claremont & Concord shops. The Alco was painted in Gray primer.
What is its history? I have no other info to go with. Anybody?

by RS-3

It was reportedly a ex-SR S-2 that was rebuilt by a outfit in Wisc or Illinois that does locomotive rebuilding, sales and leasing. It included a complete low voltage rewiring. Apparently CCRR looked at it (or was reported they purchased it) but ended up passing on it. I think I saw where its been donated to a museum in Illinois.

Corrections welcome.

GM

by 2spot

Kind of sounds like the Northern Illinois & Wisconsin S-2 #201. If you go to http://www.nilwirailway.com/ and click "Locomotives" then "For Sale" you'll find a good picture.

by Alcoman

Mystery solved! Thanks everyone!

by Alcoman

I wonder why the Clarmont & Concord did not want this unit?

by mxdata

I would like to see what that rebuilding cost! New wiring and 26 brake on an elderly ALCO switcher? Looks like they did some structural restoration too.

by 2spot

I'd be curious how much they were asking for it. Probably not as cheap as the ex-US Army S-1 for sale at Ozark Mountain Railcar though.