• BNSF - Experienced First Line Supervisor-Transportation ??

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by LCJ

What department? There's a lot of variability, here. Is this a position that's advertised? If so, there should more specific information than what you've posted.

If you're asking about an agreement-type supervisor, that would be a yardmaster for transportation, a gang foreman or shift foreman for mechanical, or a track supervisor for maintenance of way.

Union contract, or agreement supervisors are usually tied to a specific location or territory (not much travel). Yardmasters supervise train and engine crews that switch and make up trains in terminals/yards. Mechanical foremen supervise locomotive or car inspection/service/maintenance people. Track supervisors oversee the work of track inspection and repair workers. Similar supervisors are in structures and signal departments.

If this is not what you're asking about, post again and I'll try to fill in the blanks for you. If you're looking at non-agreement, first line management types, it can be quite a bit different for all departments.

by Munypit

The job title states "Transportation" and the job posting listed duties as:

"Assist in implementing policy and the execution of BNSF s operating plan. The person selected will supervise union workers and office personnel as well as plan daily train operations consistent with safety and efficiency. This candidate will conduct operations tests and safety meetings. Will monitor and control costs to meet goals. This will be done utilizing a variety of technology tools that are specific to the rail industry and to BNSF. Will successful investigate accidents and injuries, and ensure that safety concerns are being addressed. Maintaining a safe environment is a critical issue as this individual will be working in a very hazardous and active work area. Insure compliance with BNSF's equal employment policies, safety and operating rules, and union agreements. Position will require shift, holiday, and weekend work."

I received a pre-interview questionanaire and it stated that this position requires extensive travel and what my thoughts are on that but I'm wondering if that question relates to this job. But then, I've spent 20+ years in the military so extensive travel to me means 6-12 months in a sandbox on the other side of the world!
I'm also curious what it pays. I'll ask these questions in my phone interview/screening but I want as much info as possible before I get on the phone. Thanks!

by LCJ

This is basically a trainmaster/assistant trainmaster type position (Transportation dept.).

If it is as part of the formal management training program, you can expect to be moving around the system both during your training phase, and after you have been placed as a manager. Trainmasters -- if they desire to get experience in different parts of the operation (and get promoted) -- should expect relocation about every two years or so.

Chances are you won't have any choice in where you are placed on your first assignment (and most of the subsequent, too).

Salary is something I can't tell you about. My guess is that they will offer what they feel your prior experience supports in the job market within the range for the position. Military experience, assuming it's the right kind, is usually a positive. Military transportation personnel are given priority in most cases, assuming the interviews go well.

This is an excellent opportunity for those who can take the pressure of a daily operation where much of what happens is beyond your direct control (even though you're responsible for it all!). Some people have what it takes to do well in such an environment, and many do not.

Those who do well stand an excellent chance of advancing in the company, since management trainees are given promotion priority in many cases.

As in the military, you'll have a better career if you make acquaintance with (and make a good impression upon) someone in a higher position that you can follow as they advance in the organization.

It can be a good living, but can be tough on your family (again -- a lot like the military). BNSF burns through a good many of these people regularly, so good luck with the interview and the job (assuming you still want it!).

by Munypit

Thanks for the info. It may not be what I want but I'll see how the interview goes. I have several other possiblities to consider as well.