• What Was ?

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

by gawlikfj

We stayed at the Scranton Hotel last year that used to be the DL&W railroad station years ago. Looking out the back of the hotel in the distance there is a long building with Erie Lacawanna painted across the side . What was done in that building by the Erie Lacawanna ?

by Scrap The U34CH

Are you sure it said ERIE Lackawanna? Or just Lackawanna? The only thing I can think of is the old erecting shop, but that only has Lacawanna on the side.
They built\rebuilt steam loco's there.
  by gawlikfj

My mistake , it did say just Lacawanna. Do you know if its being used or preserved ?

by njt4172

It is used as a hotel and restaurant......I believe it is still the Radisson, although it might have changed hands......A lot of the old DL&W/EL employee offices were converted into hotel rooms
It is not cheap......Probably like $150/per night....

Steve

by wis bang

One portal says D L & W, it was the locomotive shops; it's on the end of steamtown. The north end was a munitions Mfg plant during 'Nam.

by 56-57

I thought it was still a munitions plant. Chamberlain Mfg. right?

Mike

by wis bang

I was not sure if Chamberlin was still open, when I was in school; we'd see 6 - 7 cars of explosives inbound for them

by sween

Sorry if this is old and repetitive news to some...The former DL&W/EL station was converted into a hotel back in the early 80s and opened as a Hilton franchise. It is indeed presently a Radisson. According to most accounts, this station was the most impressive along DL&W's main and also served as Scranton Division HQ, both in DL&W and EL days. The last EL passenger train to stop there was what was left of The Lake Cities in January 1970. For a time, Steamtown boarded excursions from the station.

The former DL&W Erecting Shops have never fallen into disuse. They've been manufacturing artillery shells there since, I believe, the mid-50s. However, there are no explosives whatsoever involved. The plant makes shells alone. I would imagine business is brisk at the moment. If you ever have time to walk around the perimeter of this compound of buildings, you'll get a sense of how sprawling they are, and the immensity of the work the DL&W must've done there in the steam era.