• First couple years working with the railroad

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by SnoozerZ49

Nice to hear you got the job. You got a lot of really good advice from some good "rails" I'm goin' to add my own piece of advice. Someone once said " The good Lord gave us Two ears and only one mouth, therefore listen twice as much as you speak". There is a lot to learn on the railroad. Forget everything you may have acquired as a railfan. Do not volunteer that you are a railfan, never try and tell an old "rail" how to do his job better. Never "rat"out a fellow employee to any member of management. Only speak to management when you are spoken to. Do not expect anything from anybody, you need to make your own way through the system. There is no "Human Resource" person you can go to with problems.

I have been on the railroad for about five years now. I have never regreted my choice. I doubt you will too. Keep your nose clean, listen and RETAIN what you are told and let everyone see through your actions that you are dependable, and that in time you can be trusted. I have worked with people that I literally had to keep one eye on all the time lest they kill the rest of the crew with their stupidity and stubborness.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

by Jayjay1213

SnoozerZ49, you said it perfectly, sure hit the nail on the head.

Good luck Noviholt, its what you make of it.

Jason

by slchub

Congrats, Noviholt!!!

Now just stick your nose in the GCOR, get throught the three weeks of inital, take your road trips, get your RCL cert, mark up and have fun.

I remeber when you started this post in April. Think that went by fast? Look back in December and think about how much knowledge you have gained, and where you are then. Stick with it. You are going to put up with some BS, not get paid overtime as a CIT, not get paid for initial and final terminal delay, and yell at the AVR when it calls you at 0200, but keep at it, and you'll have a great time.

Welcome on board. And remember rule 1.1.1 and 1.11, two important ones.

by CSX Conductor

RCL cert? whats that, certification to operate a remote control unit?......dont rush that one lol...............screw the remote units and all of the management and union officials that allowed them in the first place

by SnoozerZ49

CSX:
Way to Go! You are right. I'd like to know just how many guys have been injured and killed since these remotes started with the blessing of our omnipitent UTU?