• Plane Crash

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by Kick'em

Wilson residents identified as plane crash victims

ROCKY MOUNT, N.C. — Two Wilson residents were identified Monday as the victims of a fatal single-engine crash just south of downtown Rocky Mount.

Jenny Lyndon and Thomas Lyndon died when the Cessna Skylane crashed Sunday just south of a rail yard, according to a news release from the Rocky Mount Police Department. Their relationship and ages could not immediately be confirmed.

Rocky Mount-Wilson Regional Airport officials said the plane made two unsuccessful landing attempts, according to fire division chief of operations David English. The airport lost contact with the plane after the second landing attempt.

It crashed on train tracks in the CSX rail yard at about 3:30 p.m. The plane was extensively damaged and on fire when firefighters arrived, he said.

The flight originated in Beaufort, S.C., according to FAA spokeswoman Kathleen Bergen.

Traffic on the rail line, a major north-south traffic route, was slowed as trains were rerouted to a side rail, English said.

The National Transportation Safety Board is investigating.

It actually crashed beside the main line around A121 and bounced onto the tracks I've heard. When the trainmaster got to the site, he said the first thing he saw was a hand with no body attached.

Amtracks and piggybacks were rerouted through the yard. It was kind of strange watching an Amtrack slither through the yard at 7 or 10 mph. I was skeptical as to whether the ragged track was gonna hold up the Amtrack auto train or an intermodal train. Of course you know, we only have the finest track and equipment.javascript:emoticon(':wink:')

by pennsy

Hi All,

I live a stone's throw from Cable Field, California. Every now and again, a single engined plane goes down and takes out someone's home or gets close to the homes. People protest wildly and nothing happens. Of course, it is also true that some of the owners of the field also don't make it. Recently, one of the owner's of the field lost a piece of a prop on one of his twin engined aircraft and did not walk away. The neighborhood is now dead set on closing the field down.

by Engineer James

Wel, I guess that what they call Buzzing the rail yard.... man, I would have loved to have been heading a freight and then that plane crashed right infront of me.... man, that would have not been too cool.....

what yard was it?

by Kick'em

Rocky Mount, NC