• Hazleton, PA - rail facilities or activities?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by K3CXG

Is there anything left of railfan interest in the Hazleton area? My mother was born and raised there, and when I was a young'un, I remember seeing the RDC that ran down to Lehighton, as well as some freight. I know the station hasn't been there in a long, long time. I'd be interested to know what it's like today.

Mike in Frederick, MD
  by pumpers

you're in luck. I'm not a local, but from what I've seen online,
Norfolk Southern comes up once a day from Lehighton
(along the Lehigh River and then up through Weatherly),
mostly at night, along the south side of Hazleton, and then
to service the industrial parks on the west side (Valmont Ind.
Pk, Humbold Ind. Pk,..). Don't know if there is local switching
service in these parks in the daytime or not.

Reading and Northern also in principle comes up from the south
through McAdoo along the old Lehigh Valley line, then around the east
side of Hazleton, to go up to the Jeddo Breaker (coal) just north
of Hazleton. Don't know
how often they run or if even if at all any more or if thye picked up
other traffic.

JS

by 56-57

The Hazleton Man comes down overnight to Lehighton sets-out and picks-up cars left for them by H66 from Allentown. The Humboldt and Valmont parks are switched in daylight. There is still a 4-5 track yard just below Broad St. NS has the locos based there, and they put in a new office recently. Traffic has been picking up heavily, and because of lethargy, power availability, and Weatherly Hill, there have been quite a few cars left in Lehighton for days on end.

by AdamCKach

When do the hoppers with river dredge material (I think that was the story) start arriving? I know that there was expected to be a distinct increase in traffic while those are running.

by 56-57

'You can see the headlights coming now' has been the story of the river dredge trains for years now. I don't believe that NS will be handling any of it to Hazleton. All I've heard is the dredge will be given to the R&N in Reading and taken to Tamaqua for dumping in the LC&N Springdale Pit.

Micah

by 56-57

'You can see the headlights coming now' has been the story of the river dredge trains for years now. I don't believe that NS will be handling any of it to Hazleton. All I've heard is the dredge will be given to the R&N in Reading and taken to Tamaqua for dumping in the LC&N Springdale Pit.

Micah